DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have a question about how to get a saline rinse to reach

Customer Question

I have a question about how to get a saline rinse to reach the sphenoid sinus. I have had a left side blocked airway since I had a cold eight months ago. I have had three rounds of antibiotics and done lots of face down sinus rinses with a neil med kit. A CAT scan revealed a pool of liquid in the lower left pocket of the sphenoid sinus. The only way I have been able to get it to drain is breathing steam with my head tipped back looking strait up. It globs out into the throat but always refills. Discharge is clear indicating allergies, but wearing a dust mask 24x7 hasn't worked either. Is there any safe way to get a saline rinse into the sphenoid sinus?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

It seems that you have Chronic sinus issue and persistent rinse is not indicated , if you have persistent issue then it would be ideal for you to have surgery of sinuses for complete healing and to avoid unwanted issues .

Consult ENT dr for that .

Steam inhalation , saline gargles will help you out .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I will answer your actual question.
There is no way to get a saline rinse to go into the sphenoid sinus.
In fact, infection there can be dangerous, and you need to see an ENT doctor immediately.
A CT scan, which takes about 3 minutes, of the sinuses should be done.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.