How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46729
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an elevated reading for my growth hormone it was 280

Customer Question

i had an elevated reading for my growth hormone it was 280 the doctor wants to wait 6 weeks to do another blood test .she said it could be acromegaly what should i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
Random growth hormone levels in a healthy person range as follows:
Men: < 5 ng/mL or < 226 pmol/L.
Women: < 10 ng/mL or < 452 pmol/L.
Children: 0-20 ng/mL or 0-904 pmol/L
so your level of 280pmol/L is within normal range for you as a woman.
it would be very unlikely for you to be diagnosed with acromegally age age 63
you could have a pituitary adenoma
you should ask your doctor for a referral to see an endocrinologist specialist and a get a brain MRI scan to look at your pituitary gland
and get more pituitary hormone tests such as TSH, ACTH, prolactin levels, LH and FSH levels to make sure the pituitary gland is functioning normally.
6 weeks isn't too long to wait
but you do need more testing and workup to find out about your pituitary gland
the pituitary gland is what makes growth hormone levels in your body
let me know if you have questions.