Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My sister bowled over in pain at her house - called

Customer Question
ambulance & taken to hospital...
My sister bowled over in pain at her house - called ambulance & taken to hospital. 55 years old - athletic, runner - great shape. Blood breathing Urine all came back perfect.
Tested for kidney stones, hernia - nothing found after two contrast ultrasounds - telling her she passed a stone & this is the recovery phase - still can't walk due to discomfort - any thoughts of what we should be looking for? Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
7/26/2015
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. What exactly were the symptoms when all this started? Where exactly she feel the discomfort now? Does she has any urinary symptoms? Regards
My sister just came in from a jog - was walking thru her kitchen & went down in her bathroom & could not get up - called ambulance from her cell phone. Her pain was centralized in her lower left front part of abdomin just over her groin area - little higher up.
No urinary symptoms.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As pr your description and the tests done so far, one thing is clear for sure that there is nothing serious. There are just two possibilities, either she has passed a stone or she has got a muscular sprain. At this point, she should be taking the pain medications given by doctors or she can try over the counter available tablet Aleve twice daily. Hopefully in 3 to 4 days she will be perfectly fine. There is no need to be stressed about anything. But if symptoms persist after 4 days or worsen in between, she should see her doctor again and get further testing like CT scan and/or MRI to look for any cause. I am hopeful that this will not be required. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Thank you - could you please explain why the passing of a stone would cause the outcome it did afterwards & what if she hadn't urinated does that mean a stone wasn't passed?
You are most welcome. Passing a stone can be very painful and trauma to the urinary tract can leave bruises which can keep causing pain afterward till they heal. If she didn't pass urine then passing a stone is least likely. In that case sprain is more likely. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Ok - thanks Doc - be blessed!
You are welcome dear :) My best wishes and prayers will follow her. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor