Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Today in the morning after my bowel movment I discovered a

Customer Question
Good morning Today in the...

Good morning Today in the morning after my bowel movment I discovered a little very red spot in the stool . I have a hemorrhoid as well & i am on metamucil to avoid constipation . I also suffer from IBS . I did since about a year & half a sigmoidoscopy & it was normal also i did an endoscopy & the doctor told me that i have sliding Hiatus Hernia . I ate the day before yesterday Tomato . Sometimes i feel cramps after bowl movment. Thanks Peter.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
7/25/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.

In this situation, the small red spot is very likely to be due to the hemorrhoid. Since you had a relatively recent sigmoidoscopy, that would exclude more worrisome causes of any bleeding, as they take time to develop. It certainly would be possible that another conditions could arise, such as an anal fissure, but in someone with a known problem that can cause the problem, such as the hemorrhoid in your case, it is vastly more likely to be related to the problem that is already known to be present than for another problem to have developed.

If it remains just the one small spot, it is not necessary to consider any further evaluation or treatment.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Thanks for your reply

yes it was one spot in a large brown/green sausage formed bowel movement.

yesterday i ate in dinner a lot of sauteed carrot , pees . courgette >

i forgot to mention that i had an anal fissure before >

If you have a history of an anal fissure, then there is a greater risk that another could develop, but if you are able to maintain control of the constipation with the Metamucil, then the risk would be much less.

So, it is still more likely to be due to the hemorrhoid, but in either case, it is not necessary to pursue further evaluation from this one small spot.

There is no reason to consider what was eaten, since no further evaluation is necessary.

may i ask one more question ?

if it is something else than hemorrhoid it can appear as just one spot in a big bowel movement ? or it must be more than one ? just for my info .

it can appear as just one spot. Everything that can bleed can vary from minimal bleeding to a greater amount of bleeding. But anything that is more serious that has bled once will typically bleed more than once.

how to identify by eyeif it is an undigested food or blood ?

It usually cannot be done by eye unless the structure of the food has been partially maintained. Even a doctor usually cannot tell by sight alone if you were to be able to show it to your doctor. It typically requires a guaiac test to determine whether a red spot is due to blood.

Thanks Dr for easing my fears .

You are most welcome.

Dr Love

Good morning

Pls find attached what i found today in the morning after pooping .

I think it is Carrot as i ate it the day before yesterday .

It cannot be determined from the image that this is a remant of a carrot.

yes but you even can't say if it is a blood or not ?

It looks more like blood than a carrot, but it cannot be definitely said one way or another based on this picture, so I cannot tell you that you thinking that it is a carrot is wrong.

this photo of yesterday night & it is more orange than today's one

Would you check it pls ?

It cannot be determined from the picture that this is or is not a carrot.

Ok should i stop searching my poop & leave it ?

i think it is Carrot & not something else & if it is blood you think it is from the hemorrhoid .

Am i right ?

It is appropriate to look at your stool, or you would never know if there is blood in the stoll. But yes, if it is blood, then it is likely due to the hemorrhoid.

thanks Dr Love

anyway i stopped eating red or orange colored food to see if it is undigested food or bleeding hemorrhoid ?

Thanks

That is reasonable.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor