Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I started to exercise (walking) and diet (cut calories down to 1500 a day from way

Customer Question

hello
I started to exercise (walking) and diet (cut calories down to 1500 a day from way over 3k a day). Now I seem to have consistent dehydration. I drink water like a fish but if I go without drinking for an hour or so, i get stabbing pains in my thigh. If I drink water it subsides.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Reduction in calories can cause muscle pains commonly as your body is still trying to get used to the changes.Nutritional deficiency is likely.Just plain water does not have any minerals or vitamins in it.It is recommended that you start following supplements daily while following a low calorie diet to prevent muscle symptoms and tiredness:Vitamin B 12 ( 1000 mcg daily), iron ( 60 mg daily), taurine and carnitine (1000mg daily), Magnesium 400 mg, CoQ10 400 units daily.Please drink Gatorade or pedialyte instead of just water for hydration. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****