How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe I have been having spleen pain last week

Customer Question

I believe I have been having spleen pain for the last week and a half. It's usually a dull achy pain under my left rib cage but the pain is also on my left side and towards my back as well. Today I started getting sharp pains when I turned my upper body to the left now I'm getting waves of sharp pains with the dull achyness in between. Does this sound like my spleen to you Dr.? Thanks much!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess what I'm really needing to know is, what's a good red flag to go to the ER? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. Davidpain below the rib under the left ribs most likely is due to stomach inflammation from excessive stomach acid.the spleen usually doesn't cause pain.excessive stomach acid causing stomach inflammation is much more common to cause pain below the left might need stomach acid blocking agents to help reduce stomach acid to see if that helps.have you tried any maalox or mylanta or zantac or prilosec or tums to see if they help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it seems I do have a lot of the symptoms of having an enlarged spleen and as I stare at this organ diagram in front of me, I would almost say that the EXACT area where the spleen is placed is also the exact area where I have had constant pain the last 11days without giving it a break. It's just getting worse by the day and I am very uncomfortable. :/
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
then you should go to the ER and they can go an CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and tell for sure if your spleen is enlarged.and the ER doctors can see where your pain is coming from.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And yes I have had my bouts of stomach acid inflammation thought my whole life, this doesn't feel even remotely similar.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
then go to the ER and get checked.