Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am experiencing tingling in both upper arms, tingling in

Customer Question
my upper left chest and...
I am experiencing tingling in both upper arms, tingling in my upper left chest and also some back pain. I have suffered from depression in the past and suffer anxiety daily. I am currently on medicine daily for the anxiety. I find that if I take my medicine
the symptoms subside also heating pads and hot baths take away the tingling sensations. Please enlighten me on what this could be.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
7/19/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

The distribution of your symptoms to me suggests that you may have a problem involving the lower cervical to upper thoracic spine. The spinal nerve's from these regions would lead to sensation of the arms and upper chest and nack.I advise that you follow up with neurologist for further evaluation.I think an MRI of the neck and the upper thoracic spine would be indicated for your case.

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Do you not think this has anything to do with anxiety? I have been told that it is anxiety but I worry about the worst. I search it on the Internet and realize that probably isn't the smartest thing to do. With the systems I listed do you fee like I should be worried about heart issues?

Hello again--

Your description does not sound cardiac in nature to me.Tingling in both arms and upper chest and back sounds to me more NEUROLOGICAL in nature and not sounding cardiac in nature. I would advise further evaluation of your symptoms. I think a neurologist would be best. It would be fine to start with an internal medicine primary care doctor.

It sounds to me more of a sensory type symptom that may relate to spinal stenosis or radiculopathy of lower cervical nerve's to upper thoracic nerves.

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or concerns!!

Best regards!!

Anthony Bray MD

Another question for you, today I experienced more back pain and also felt more burning in my chest. My arms on both sides still tingled at times but it seems to all come and go. Do you still feel like this is neurological?

Hello again,

Yes the tingling in the arms sounds neurological in origin. The chest to back may also be neurological but some aspects of symptoms that you describe could include other issues.

The sense of burning in the chest specifically sounds mores of possible reflux / heartburn type description. You could try some Mylanta to see if it helps that symptom . you may benefit to avoid hot spicy foods.alcoholic drinks , coffee, caffeine, acidic foods , anti-inflammatory medicines such as Advil, Aleve or aspirin in high daily amounts in particular. You may benefit to avoid lying down for 1 and 1/2 hour after you eat before you lie down..

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Thank you. I will try that. I am laying on a heating pad now and just took my anxiety medicine and am not having any symptoms. I guess I am just scared because any time I type my symptoms on the internet it shows the worst. Scared and worried. I also just started a new job and can't afford to miss.

Hello again!

I see...it sounds that your stress and anxiety of your situation may well be making certain things worse. New job is very stressful. It sounds that you probably have a couple of things going on but manageable. It does not sound cardiac from your detailed description. I would advise follow up on your varied symptoms but don't panic!!

It sounds that you probably have some spine issues in the lower neck to upper back region for one ...

It sounds that you probably have some reflux as well as a separate issue ...

Your stress and anxiety is going to magnify your sense of discomfort and fear of the worst . so I advise try to stay calm. Plan follow up with your doctor on the symptoms.

I am glad that for now that you are feeling better.

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.Please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!!

Anthony Bray MD

Hey there, okay some more issues transpired today. Sorry for being a pest. I have had more back pain and burning all across my back. My arms and chest have not tingled hardly at all today. Also have a bit of a slight headache. What is wrong with me? Anxiety has been very high today also, had to leave work and come home to bed because of it.

Hello again,

You should see a neurologist or orthopedist to evaluate the spine ( cervical spine to thoracic spine sounds to be source of trouble) so evaluation of this area is indicated for you I think.

It sounds that anxiety needs treatment as well if not already on treatment

I hope that this is helpful.Best regards!.

Anthony Bray MD

What would you suggest for the best home treatment until I can get in to the doctor? I have been doing heating pad and ibuprofen.

Hello again,

Ibuprofen is fine ...you may take 3 to 4 tablets with meals three times a day.

It is ok to combine Tylenol (acetaminophen) with an NSAID such as ibuprofen or Aleve..

You may try a topical application such as Aspercream or Salonpas

With back it is ok to alternate cold pals and heating pad ( heat or cold both distract pain signals and cold reduces inflammation but heat relaxes muscles )

Your doctor may help you with additional treatment such as moderate pain reliever such as Ultram or physical therapy perhaps ..

I hope that this is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Another question for you, I think that I am experiencing heartburn today. Goodness, I need to figure this out. I am having burning in the middle of the chest with coughing and a lot of burping. Also woke up this morning with a lot of phlegm. Is this related to heartburn or something different. Started in stomach and moved up to middle chest.
It has lasted for about 2 hours but is getting better the more I burp

Hello again!

Yes I agree that you have even previusly described a component of your symptoms that I thought was reflux ( heartburn ) related...also we call this GERD( gastroesophageal reflux) ( all different ways to describe same problem)

So I think you have 2 separate problem areas the spine as we discussed before plus this GERD issue...

For helping the heartburn you would benefit from several steps

1) Wait 1 and 1/2 hour after you eat before you lie down

2) Elevate head of bed 4 to y inches with blocks under head side bedposts ...this keeps your trunk at slight incline when you lie down no matter if on your back or side or stomach...this helps prevent stomach acid from getting up into the esophagus and causing irritation...note using extra pillow is not advised as it may hurt your neck and is not as effective !!

3) avoid GI irritants such as alcoholic drinks, coffee, caffeine, hot spicy or acidic foods ( tomato products, peppers, onions, citrus fruits , be careful with anti-inflammatory medicines -- prescription Celebrex may be easier on you vs OTC Aleve or Advil or aspirin) Tylenol is fine

4) try daily acid lowering medicine such as OTC Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid or Zantac

5) ANTACIDS such as Mylanta or TUMS may help fast but not last long

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Just wanted to touch base with you on my symptoms. Yesterday I didn't experience any symptoms at all! It was such a great day!!!!! Today I woke up with heartburn and lower back pain with tingling and burning in both arms, legs, and shoulders and back. I took at tums and the heartburn immediately was gone. So frustrating and anxiety seems to be making it worse. I am scared to go to the doctor thinking the worst. Please advise. You are the only one that has given me a calming about all of this.

Hello!

Well you waking up with heartburn is common as this is common occurrence.( have you tried elevating head of bed with blocks under checklists 4 to 6 inches??? If you do this step it should really help reduce heartburn symptoms and extra Phillips is not the same and probably bad idea with your neck!!)

Burning sensations sound DIFFERENT AND DISTINCT from the heartburn...

You may benefit from cervical support pillow to help keep neck in neutral position....

So trunk elevated slightly BUT neck kept more straight I think would help you!!

Continue with measures above on helping the heartburn....

See your doctor for further evaluation of the burning sensations of back and extremities. You may benefit here to see neurologist. MRI of neck and back ma y help to identify cause of these symptoms. Medication such as Lyrica May help with burning sensations....

Try to remain calm. It seems that you have a combination of issues here. You need more evaluation. Try to stay calm and take it one step at a time!

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if I may be of further help! Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Thank you so much for all your help. Went to the doctor today and my entire spine was out of place. Pinched nerve in the lower back and then out in about 5 other places.

Hello again...well I'm sorry that you have the spine problems but at least you have an answer and a place to start .I hope that you get excellent care and feel better soon!

Let me know if I may be of further help!

Best regards ***** *****!

Anthony Bray MD

Let me know if I may be of help with further issues or questions.
Please do ACCEPT on this thread and remember to leave positive feedback.That allows me to get credit for my work and would be much appreciated.
If you have future questions you are welcome to reach me specifically via my profile page on this site ..
This is at---
www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/
Thank you!!
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor