Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

After 2 or 3 days on the over the counter

Customer Question
esomeprazole,omaprazole pantoprazole I developed bloating...
After 2 or 3 days on the over the counter esomeprazole,omaprazole pantoprazole I developed bloating cramping(severe) and diarrhea. since I need a PPI for gerd and I know i can take dexlansoprozole but insurance will not pay for it would it be worth trying rabeprazole or is it pretty much the same as the others that I have tried
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
7/19/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
all of the PPIs can cause diarrhea in some patients.
you need to have your bowels tested to check for c diff infection and to be checked for bowel inflammation. you could also be allergic to certain foods such as wheat gluten protein or milk lactose sugars which can cause diarrhea. keeping a food diary can see if certain foods in your diet could be causing your symptoms as well.
you can try the Aciphex or rabeprazole, but it can also cause diarrhea.
you should get tested for H Pylori bacteria which can cause excessive stomach acid production.
you might have to change your diet to avoid certain foods which can worsen stomach acid such as alcohol, sodas, fried foods, tomato sauces, oily foods, spicy foods, black pepper.
you should have an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy if you haven't had one recently.
have you been tested for H Pylori?