Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can being severely depressed and not feeling like myself

Customer Question
mentally and emotionally cause me...
Can being severely depressed and not feeling like myself mentally and emotionally cause me to become physically sick in a terminal way ? Like thanks to the changes my body may be going through on the inside thanks to the depression and depersonalization derealization dissociation this what I figure I have my doc who is both a phsychyatrist and neurologist has me on 300mg of Wellbutrin which so far haven't seemed to help me at all I been on its for almost 3 weeks now but 2 weeks at 300mg dose , before that I was taking for first week 150mg dose which I believe is what the normal process with Wellbutrin for lost People is
Anyway I haven't felt like myself physically in so long I'm sure thanks to my mental /emotional state that I'm worried this may possibly have detrimental negative effects on my body and well being even if I'm not doing anything to worsen physical well being , like indulging in physically abusive behaviors ie: drinking smoking cigs and stuff like that ! But what I do do that is bad in my opinion is I Don't eat as much as I always did before depression and I don't eat as healthy as I always did (well balanced diet prior ) and I don't exercise nor am I as active as I normally was , I've become very sedentary so my question is can depression and my emotions being totally off where my body doesn't feel like my body , cannot make me physically sick ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/19/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it can, in two different ways.

First, your emotional and psychologic state can cause a wide variety of physical symptoms, most often relatively benign symptoms, but in some cases causes symptoms that can mimic a heart attack or stroke. Even when the symptoms have the severity that mimic serious health problems, it does not have the same concern about being life threatening as the health problem being mimicked. For example, having symptoms that mimic a stroke will not cause the life threatening complications that can occur with a true stroke.

Second, there is much data that shows that ongoing significant physical or emotional stress can increase the risk of developing serious medical illness. In this context, many life situations would count towards this stress, including life events that would otherwise be considered a positive life event, such as getting married or having a child. If a serious medical illness develops in this situation, it would carry the risk involved with that illness. To develop a serious medical condition that is potentially life threatening, it would typically require high amounts of stress over a longer duration, but over time, it can contribute to the development of a serious medical illness. If any such medical illness develops, it would be diagnosed and managed as would be appropriate for that condition.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
how could stress cause a medical illness isn't thanks to what I do and don't do like smoking cigarettes drinking alcohol ? Stuff like that or can just the stress it self cause me to get physically sick
It is a direct effect of stress on the body and is independent of the other risk factors. If there are other risk factors, then the risk would be even higher, but the stress is a risk factor, by itself.
I can't sleep more than 4 hours unless I take a Xanax or something like that also I have totally lost my identity and I'm sure this is why I can't sleep cause subconsciously I am always thinking bout fact that o no longer me
I don't desire anything as I always did I don't even understand stuff I always understood like business and life and family it's like I'm all blocked up mentally for so long now that in my opinion I've totally lost everything that made me me
What do you think ?
I just completed a cycle at rusk mental rehab institute and it's done nothing for me I'm still just as bad as I was before I started

This is common with anxiety and depression. You need to work with your Psychiatrist to find a medical regimen that works for you.

I been put on wellbutrin (bupropion) but so far it hasn't helped at all i rated taking it June 30 maybe a little before that and yet nothing in terms of improvement I'm on 300 mg of it

You need to do what I said above.

Stupid question being that I pretty sure the answer to it going to be no
But IS. There anyways of unfo the damage /scarring done to my lungs fr smoking with hopes that doing so will correct the finger tip and fingernail changes my hands took on due to my stress which caused me to smoke way more cigs than ever basically forcing smoke in and raking in more carbon dioxide than oxygen which from what ice been told and researched myself is what caused the change in my fingernails due to depriving my extremities (fingers/nails ) of adequate oxygen thanks to amount of cigarette smoke inhaled as well as not exercising at all once I started smoking like crazy if you get that I mean ? I not so worried of what the change my nails took on signifies health wise being that I feel great especially due to fact I really don't smoke cigs anymore (like I'll have one or two every moe and again )which is killing me being that I liked smoking before I lost total control with it and caused my nails to curve and become bulbous in a short amount of time thanks to smoking like a mad man without moving much and so not getting my blood to flow vigorously throughout my body and so causing in my opinion my blood to not deliver the necessary amount of oxygen needed to keep healthy looking and working organs and or body parts like my fingers and finger Neil's
I know I'm a little erratic and maybe even crazy with what I say and ask and how I say it and ask but I'm so upset that life changed at one point in ways which caused me to basically totally lose myself to the point of losing sense and now a using my body in ways I never did before by smoking way more cigarettes in a totally careless fashion (chain smoking ) not exercising and worse of all not eating and not eating healthy when I ate which is still the case minus the cigs
It's so upsetting cause everything in moderation not as bad as someone who smokes like a phien or who drinks alcohol like a fish ! I was very well measured and rounded in my ways all my life then life change and depression hit and I ruined everything

There is nothing that will reverse damage to the lungs from smoking.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor