Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have an 8 year old boy who is bleeding from the back

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old boy who is bleeding from the back passage...my doc tells me that he has dermatitis and this is causing the bleeding bit I know it is comming for inside..I know it could be a tear in the back passage but I feel there is something more wrong..he is a funny yellow colour very concerned but can't get past doc to get further investigation
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you mean that this has been going on for 2 months?
What did his doctor recommend for treatment of the dermatitis that is supposedly the cause of the bleeding?
Has he had any blood tests to assess the yellow colour?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First they put him on a 1%hydrocortisone cream then changed it to another type and told me to put silcox base over it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has suffered constipation and I had to take him to hospital after 2 weeks of no bowel movement... They had to wash him out as they called it.... And was on Monica for 4 months after this....as a mother of 4.. I feel that there may be something underline...the bleeding is getting worse and I don't know what to do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Movical
Thank you for the additional information.
Is the Movical controlling the constipation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never had bloods done..and he was fine on movical but when he came off it the problems re accured
He has a very healthy diet as we are very conscious of his problem....he has been going to the toilet everyday and it is normal..so he doesn't seem constipated at all....
There are several issues to consider in this situation.
You are correct that this could be related to a tear, or what is more properly called an anal fissure. An anal fissure can be caused by chronic constipation or chronic diarrhea. Correcting the underlying altered bowel movements is the usual first step towards treatment of an anal fissure, and if the problem had resolved, then no further management would be necessary.
However, if the bleeding is getting worse, then it would be appropriate to be seeking further evaluation.
A yellow colour also would be concerning about possible liver disease, but the usual first step would be blood tests of liver function. This can be done as a liver profile, but many of these tests are also included in a comprehensive metabolic profile.
The blood tests can be done by his regular doctor, but further evaluation would usually require consultation with a Gastroenterologist. You certainly can insist that his doctor perform the blood tests and refer to the Gastroenterologist, but if his doctor is not willing to do so, then it may be necessary to seek a private consultation.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help..I have an appointment for tomorrow where I was planning on requesting both.. I just wanted to be sure I was heading in the right direction
that would be the right direction.
Good luck.