Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

DR ONLY I hope you remember me its. The girl paranoid with

Customer Question

DR DAVID ONLY
hi Dr David I hope you remember me its Diane. The girl paranoid with QT intervals. I suffer from bad anxiety and depression.
I hope you can help because I'm extremely worried and terrified.
Last night when I came home, I took off my bra and I was wearing a white tank and I noticed my left nipple looked like there was a bump on it/on the side of it..it just looked irregular looking. I just ignored it and went to sleep but when I woke up I started looking at it and got scared so I went to the hospital. The doctor checked my breasts and said he didn't feel anything concerning. he said if I'll feel more comfortable and reassured to have another doctor exam me too, such as my family doctor and if wants he can do an ultrasound and stuff. Well My doctor is on vacation and I've been so worried that I went to a walk in clinic and the Dr there examined me again and he said I have a normal breast exam that he doesn't feel or see any signs of cancer or anything. He said if it will make me feel better he can order an ultrasound and I told him I panic regardless. So he said for me to come back in like 3 weeks and he'll do a breast exam again because that's the best time to do it because my period is coming and my breasts are somewhat full and sore. He said he doesn't see any signs of cancer. He checked my lymph nodes in my collarbone, under arms, checked both breast and examined both nipples. My breasts are asymmetrical since I stopped puberty...my right breast is about a full cup larger than my left. I barely even look at my breasts as I'm self conscious about even looking at them but there seems to be something different with my left nipple. It's shaped differently and you can see that odd shape when I wear a tight top with no bra. Mind you, I just noticed this all last night. I had no pain until today...I've been squeezing and touching my nipple constantly since 8am this morning. I don't believe there's a family history of breast cancer. My mom had scleroderma and then was diagnosed with cancer that had metasized but I don't know where it originated from.
I'm scared Dr David. I had two doctors examine my breasts and said they don't see or feel anything concerning but my nipple looks different. My anxiety is so bad right now that I can't stop crying.
What do you think? Do you suggest I do an ultrasound or other testing?
Thank you Dr.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you need to stop touching and squeezing your nipple

you don't have breast cancer.

you don't need any testing or ultrasound

you need better treatment for your anxiety
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My anxiety has been acting up the last month due to various reasons....and this issues are triggering my anxiety attacks all over again. I also see my therapist every 2 weeks and am on Zoloft 100mg and clonazepam 1mg daily.I'm just worried that my left nipple looks irregularly shaped all of a sudden...and when I googled it online, it says nipple size changes is a symptom of breast cancer. I don't know how long my nipple has been like this as I don't usually check them but it definitely looks misshapen. I wouldn't have noticed the change if I didn't see my bare breasts in a white top. Wearing a tight top looks like my nipple has a crumb next to it or even a piercing but when you look at my nipple it looks a little oval shaped with maybe a slight slope in the middle?I know my anxiety is making this worse and I should feel reassured that two doctors examined me today and said everything felt and looked normal but I feel like maybe I should get an ultrasound done...Does it sound like breast cancer?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
your doctors have examined your breast

your nipple is not mis-shapened.

it sounds like your anxiety is out of control

your doctors would have picked up breast cancer if your nipple was misshapened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It feels mis-shaped though. And it looks misshapen when wearing a top with no bra and I've never seen it look like that before. The nipple itself feels extra bumpy with a slight slope in the middle. I showed my sister and she said my nipple looks like a nipple but to me, it looks different. The ER doctor said nipples can change contours but he said what they look for are masses and he said something else but I can't remember what it was. But he said if I need reassurance see my family doctor and he can order an ultrasound if he thinks necessary or send me to a breast specialist. Why would I need to go to a specialist?
And then the walk in clinic doctor was very thorough, examined both breasts, my underarms and collarbone and said it was normal. He said everything is reassuring and put it this way...can I go home and feel reassured enough or am I the type of person that will lose sleep over this and need an ultrasound. I told him even with an ultrasound and am never reassured so he said to come back mid cycle and he'll check again when my breasts are softer.
I'm feeling extra anxious as there's a lot going on in my life. My grandmother committed suicide 2 weeks ago and left behind my 90 year old grandfather. My sisters and I are flying to Portugal where they live in August. I'm just feeling overwhelmed with everything. My eye has also started twitching constantly.
I'm scared I have breast cancer..I know my breast exam was normal but what if there's something small lurking underneath.
Dr David I'm at my wits end with everything. This is scaring the hell out of me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
your nipple is not misshapened.

it is your anxiety making you worried.

your doctors checked your nipples already.

I am sorry about your grandmother.

you don't have breast cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr David. I just have one more question...it looks as though my nipple is larger, almost swollen now. Could me constantly squeezing it cause it to enlarge/swell. I'm just a complete wreck. I feel like I'm having an emotional breakdown
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you constant squeezing can cause it to swell and be larger

you are causing this problem yourself

I told you that you have to stop squeezing your nipples.

you don't have breast cancer.

this is your anxiety out of control

please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com