Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

24hrs ago i unfortunately had unsafe sex with a girl, who did

Customer Question

24hrs ago i unfortunately had unsafe sex with a girl, who did not smell very good, in my drunken state, now I am worried about my actions, is there something I can do/take that is perhaps preventative for a disease possibility.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are medicines that can be taken to prevent certain STDs. The most commonly considered are medicines that can be used to prevent HIV transmission in someone that has been exposed to HIV, called post-exposure prophylaxis, or PEP. However, the recommendations in most countries is to use PEP only in situations in which there is a known exposure, rather than after every sexual encounter with someone of unknown HIV status. In certain situations, such as when there is a high chance of a person being HIV positive, then PEP may still be considered.
There also are antibiotics that can be used for known exposure to gonorrhea or chlamydia, but these infections are actually less of a concern, because they can be readily treated and eradicated at any stage. Prophylaxis in the setting of an HIV exposure is more important, since an HIV infection cannot be eradicated.
If PEP is to be done, it should be done as soon as possible and certainly within the first 72 hours after exposure. So, it is important that you be seen by your doctor quickly if this is to be considered.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.