Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Let me start by saying I have anxiety disorder. But

Customer Question

Hello, let me start by saying I have anxiety disorder. But tomorrow at 12:30 pm I am doing a healthy aging panel blood test which I believe also includes urine test. But, I saw it said to fast 8-12 hours before and I have but I also had 7-8 drinks tonight
for my friends birthday and just want to make sure it will be okay to still go through with the test? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Basically for most of lab tests it is instructed not to eat or drink (other than water) before the test for 12 hours. However this depends on the type of blood test you're having. For example, a triglycerides test (which this panel blood test includes), it is advised to not drink alcohol for 24 hours before the test.
Hence it is better if you can postpone the test and have it done later. Please call the lab and tell them about the alcohol and have the test appointment changed.
Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually this is what my test includes:This panel contains the following tests:Complete Metabolic Panel with Lipids
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
C-Reactive Protein (high sensitivity)
Vitamin B12
Folate
Vitamin D 25-hydroxy
Hemoglobin A1C (HbA1C)
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
Ferritin
InsulinIs it okay to do this test?
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Lipids includes triglycerides, hence abstaining from alcohol for 24 hours applies and therefore not recommended to have the test.
Take care.