Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been given a med without my knowledge. what is the best

Customer Question

I have been given a med without my knowledge. what is the best blood test to prove it and identify the med.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How long ago did this happen?
Since it was without your knowledge, do you have a good sense of when was the last time that you were given the medicine?
I had asked for some clarification, but have not heard back.
If it is necessary to identify an unknown drug in the system, it would typically involve a comprehensive toxicology test, similar to what is done as part of an autopsy when someone has died for an unknown reason.
However, the issue is also what specimen would be appropriate. If this happened in a time frame that it is suspected that the drug is still in your system, then blood testing would be appropriate. It also would be appropriate to perform testing on the urine. Since many drugs are in higher concentrations in the urine, the urine testing can frequently detect drugs that would be missed with blood testing.
However, if you are uncertain of when the drug was taken and it is possible that it has been several days since the drug may have been given, then it would also be appropriate to consider testing of the hair, which can detect drug use for a much longer period of time.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.