Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My husband has been to the dr wed. For a busted ear

Customer Question
drum...shot of penicillin, on...
My husband has been to the dr wed. For a busted ear drum...shot of penicillin, on amoxicillin and muscle relaxer.. his pain is so severe tonight he is rolling on the ground..his jaw is stiff and it hurts to much to swallow. The drops will not go in his ears because they are full....the er is backed up. His ear has,been draining until today...any ideas for relief
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
7/10/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
he has to go to the ER to see a doctor who can drain his ear canal and evaluate his ear
he most likely will need to be admitted to the hospital for IV pain medications and IV antibiotics and pain control
they can give him IV morphine or IV dilaudid for stronger pain control.
and stronger IV antibiotics to make sure his infection is not getting worse.
you don't want his infection to be getting worse or spread into his blood stream.
they will triage him at the ER and hopefully get him in sooner for evaluation by an ER doctor.
some hospitals are posting ER wait times on their webpage trying to minimize wait times.
I would bring him to the ER for evaluation
let me know if you have questions.
Thank you. So there is nothing I can do to help it drain. ...and if I understand you correctly since it's not draining and the pain is this severe then the infection has probably gotten worse and a dr will have to drain it in order for it not to spread to his blood?
the fluid in the ear canal will need to be drained by a doctor so they can better look at his ear drum to assess for fluid inside of the inner ear
it sounds like he has a bad infection and most likely will need an MRI scan of the brain and inner ear to check for infection causing his stiff jaw and pain with swallowing.
the shot of penicillin might not be enough to control his infection.
he needs blood counts to check for elevated WBC white blood cell count to check for infection
and blood cultures to check if infection has spread to his blood stream.
worsening pain could be a sign of worsening infection
best to bring him to the ER for evaluation and test to see if he needs to be admitted into the hospital
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician