Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My daughter just told me that hen she went to use the

Customer Question

My daughter just told me that hen she went to use the bathroom she had rectal bleeding I'm concern and she's also diabetic type one
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello!

At her age especially rectal bleeding would most commonly be due to hemorrhoids or an anal fissure ..especially if not much volume of blood. This is typically presenting as blood on toilet paper or streaks on the stool.

If she has larger volume of Frank blood such as 1/ 2 cup or more estimated or blood enough to cloud put bottom of toilet bowl then she would need more immediate attention medically for that ..

For anal fissure or hemorrhoids causing bleeding then she may apply Vaseline or preparation H to the anus for 2 weeks. She may in this case have benefit to use stool softener long term to prevent constipation and more likely recurrent trouble...so her taking daily Surfak 260mg a day ( over the counter) or Colace or Docusate 100 to 200mg par day OR mineral oil one tablespoon a day would help to prevent hard stool and friction in passing a BM....

She should follow up with doctor to follow up on problem and decide if she needs more evaluation...of anal fissure or hemorrhoids than a general surgeon most often deals with these problems...

It may not be such that she needs more than the conservative measures that I mentioned above...

Now some problems could cause higher volume bleeding such as inflammatory bowel disease for example ( ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease-- these more often produce abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea ...)

If higher amount of blood is passed them other possible GI problems may need to be considered ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.If you have further questions or discussion then I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD