Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had anosmosis for over ten years. I stopped smoking

Customer Question
in 2001. I have taken antidepressants...
I have had anosmosis for over ten years. I stopped smoking in 2001.
I have taken antidepressants for 15 yrs: Prozac, then Lexapro, 10 mg. combined with Wellbutrin, from 100 mg.-250 mg. I also take Nexium 40 mg for acid reflux. I have Barrett's esophagus, stable for 5 yrs. Now I am off Lexapro and Topomax and started 100 mg. of Lamictal. During the last ten yrs., my sense of taste is also decreasing. Since starting Lamictal 6 weeks ago, my sense of taste is now essentially gone. I only recognize tart, sweet, salty, spicy hot. I will be in touch with my Dr. 7/9/15, but want info on progressive altered taste due to depression meds, since this side effect is not at the top of anyone's long list to my knowledge.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/8/2015
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
I think you mean anosmia.
Lack of functioning smell...which affects taste.
Is that your diagnosis?
that is the diagnosis for the lack of sense of smell. Now no taste.
OK
If ENT has determined it is due to cell destruction of the olfractory nerves, this is often , most often, permanent.
If that has not been determined, and if it is a side effect, the medication should be stopped for 6 weeks to see if this makes a difference.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician