Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 23 year old female with no health issues that I am

Customer Question

I am a 23 year old female with no health issues that I am aware of. Five days ago, I had a fever and I began to have abdominal pains. I started going to the bathroom constantly but I either felt constipated or when I was able to relieve myself, I was a small bout of 'sludge' and I felt like I hadn't emptied my bowels and when I wiped it was fairly mucus like. I went to my doctor two days ago and he told me I have gastro. Since then I have only been going to the toilet maybe 4-5 times a day only however my stool has not gone back to normal completely. It is not diarrhoea. It looks more like small little pebbles and when I wipe there is still mucus present. Is this normal in the recovery of gastro?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Mucus comes from the colon and rectal lining.
The inflammation causes the glands to produce excessive mucus.
So this is expected with gastroenteritis.
The pebble like stool is due to the lack of enough cohesive forces in the stool.
This also occurs due to the dietary and fluid status changes.
You can start taking Citrucel daily which will help with stool normalization.
Also a probiotic like Culture capsules daily will help to normalize your bowel movement.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****