Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Dr. Love, You've made me scared to go on my trip. Let's say

Customer Question

Dr. Love, You've made me scared to go on my trip. Let's say I get cellulitis: If I have a closed reservoir, and try one antibiotic and it doesn't work--so then I have to try another, I will be getting a late start on the antibiotics. Do you think that
the antibiotics can still fight off the infection--maybe not completely--but maybe systemically so that the fever would go away. It seems to me that they could.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
If you are going to blame me for scaring you, then maybe I should not offer information on inadequate data. I cannot examine the wound and the deep space, so cannot know the real risk of infection or the ability to control the infection with antibiotics.
When I say that the risk will depend upon these findings, then you tell me that I am scaring you.
I could say that it would be better to seek the opinion of your doctor, who can examine the wound, but you have already seen your doctor, who told you that it would be fine to go on the trip.
Alternatively, I can limit the information to that information that can be stated with certainty, so that I do not scare you into not going on your trip.
Since I cannot know the size of the deep space, it would be impossible for me to answer this question with a level of certainty that you are apparently seeking, so it would be better to see you doctor.
Or - can you explain what level of information you are seeking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am looking for reasurance that cellulitis can be stopped with antibiotics even though there is a closed reservoir. The doctor says it is getting smaller.
I cannot answer that with certainty without examining you.
Is there any other information that would be helpful?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, but thanks anyway
OK.
Did your doctor say that it would be OK to go on the trip armed with antibiotics?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
something's wrong with the rating stars--they won't light up for me
I have not been able to provide an answer yet, so there is no ability to rate an answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
I have asked about what your doctor has said and you have not replied.
While I cannot comment with certainty about questions that would depend upon the examination of the wound and deep space, I can comment upon whether you have provided any objective data that would raise concern about whether the advice of your doctor should be questioned and a second opinion sought.
Would that be helpful?