How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18422
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a metal valve in my heart years. I have found

Customer Question

I have had a metal valve in my heart for 12 years. I have found if I run just a little I'm way out of breath. should the doctor order an Mri or cat scan first before going in to explore the problem?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I would usually first consider obtaining an echocardiogram and the first diagnostic study to be done to assess heart function in this situation. This is usually better than a CT scan or MRI, and an MRI would not be appropriate with any metal implant that contains a ring structure, such as the base of a valve.
If no diagnostic studies have yet been done, it is reasonable to request an explanation why this is not being done.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.