Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My client just started taking haloperidol and tonight she…

Customer Question
My client just started taking...
My client just started taking haloperidol and tonight she started walking with her head tilted way back and to the right a bit what is happening ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
She has dementia and was getting very combative so her doctor prescribed haloperidol one half to a whole tablet every four hours. Should I be waking her up to give it to her in the night? 2mg tablets I am giving her half tablets.
7/3/2015
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
She is probably experiencing one of the adverse effects of haloperidol that is abnormal muscle movements or problems controlling muscle movement. This is common and seen in 1 in 10 persons taking haloperidol. These muscle spasms are seen especially in the neck and back. However this could also be a serious adverse effect such as severe muscular rigidity and dystonia. Therefore irrespective of it being a common or serious adverse effect, she needs to inform her doctor, and now be seen by a doctor as soon as possible preferably in the emergency.
Take care.
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor