Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About a month and a half ago I was having severe fatigue and…

Customer Question
About a month and a...
About a month and a half ago I was having severe fatigue and swollen lymph nodes. my doctor ran several tests on me and I came back positive for Lyme and mono. my Western blot test did not show an active lyme infection so my doctor did not treat me. I'm started to get much better my lymph nodes went down in size and my fatigue was getting a little bit better however about 2 days ago my lymph nodes swelled up again and my fatigue has come back and I had to take off work it's the first time since I've been diagnosed with mono but I've taken off work. my doctor told me that if I didn't get enough bed rest my mono could relapse and that this could happen but I'm also now having joint pains and I'm concerned about the lyme disease. had been tested for Lyme about 6 or 7 months ago and I did come back negative. should I have my Western blot test done again to check on the lyme disease or should I just get bed rest and think that it's the mono is causing my symptoms again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
7/2/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
lyme disease tends to cause fevers and joint pains and rash on the skin as symptoms.
it doesn't sound like you are having fevers at this time.
your symptoms sound much more like reactivated mononucleosis with enlarged lymph nodes and severe fatigue.
if you haven't been getting enough rest recently, this can suppress your immune system and cause a relapse of your mono infection.
you need to help improve your immune system to help fight off this mono infection.
eating more fruits and vegetables and less carbs and fats can help improve your immune system
regular exercise 3-5 times a week can help improve your immune system
you need your thyroid hormone levels checked as well
very high or low thyroid hormone levels can affect your sleep and cause problems with your immune system.
you can get new testing for lyme disease infection now, but I suspect it will show no active infection currently.
also you should ask your doctor to check for B12, vitamin D and iron and ferritin levels. low levels of these can also cause fatigue as well
let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician