Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 58 yr. old male.in 1993 i was working in port arthur,

Customer Question

i'm a 58 yr. old male.in 1993 i was working in port arthur, tx. as an electrician in a refinery installing miles of aluminum cable tray about 9 months work. the last summer there i broke-out in a rash that started under my arms and in a matter of a couple of weeks it spread to my entire upper body. it itches and burns like rubbing alcohal on an open cut, my upper torso, very painful. it goes away after 2 or 3 weeks of saying out of the heat but comes back everytime i go back in the heat and swet. went to 12 doctors in the port arthur, bridge city, orange, and beamont, texas area. they said things like heat rash, to laundry detergent, to hives. the last doctor told me it was aluminum oxide poisoning and there was no cure, it was something i would have to live with. IT HURTS, any suggestion ? cold shower and lotion is my only relief until i get hot again and it gets
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the rash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no way to send pic, it looks like heat rash at night, worst out side it festers up and sometimes weeps.

There are different types and severity of a heat rash, also called miliaria. Some of the types involve deeper layers of the skin and sweat glands and some have a greater amount of inflammation. When you say that it festers and weeps, that suggests that you are getting a greater amount of inflammation. Some develop pus in the lesions.

If a picture is not possible, what is the appearance and color of the fluid that weeps from the lesions?
Is there any pus in this fluid?
Are there any nodules that you can feel under the skin?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

As I noted above, there are several types and severity of miliaria, and the treatment would depend upon the severity.

For common miliaria, the usual treatment would be the use of anhydrous lanolin to help prevent clogging of the sweat glands that is the underlying cause of the condition. It is also important to do what can be done to avoid sweating, and if the heat cannot be avoided, to try to keep the skin cool, such as wearing clothes that breath well, such as cotton.

There also has been some use of topical vitamin A and C for prevention of the problem, although there is no solid evidence to indicate the level of effectiveness.

If there is any pus in the fluid that is weeping from the rash, then antibiotics may be necessary.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.