Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the difference between hydrochlorothizide and

Customer Question
aldactone...
what is the difference between hydrochlorothizide and aldactone
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
6/30/2015
Doctor: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 3 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
They are both diuretics in that they treat high blood pressure, edema and kidney problems by decreasing the fluid in your body as well as salt.
aldactone is called a potassium sparing diuretic as it helps to decrease the amount of potassium when compared to other drugs in this class, such as hydrochlorothizide (HCTZ).
These two medication are sometimes used together to balance out their effects on the loss of potassium so that you might not have take potassium supplements.
But, basically? They work in a similar way....
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS