Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a doctor visit and my pressures is 145/94 she…

Customer Question
I just had a doctor...
I just had a doctor visit and my pressures is 145/94 she suggested I take blood pressure meds. However I was wondering if I dropped weight (I am currently 276lbs) would I b able to avoid medication
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 3 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes definitely losing weight will normalize your blood pressure.
If you can lose 25 lbs or more your blood pressure should drop below 140/81 which is considered normal.
Also office BP measurement nowadays is not considered accurate to diagnose high BP.
We suggest daily home BP monitoring or ambulatory BP monitoring to check for hypertension.
If your BP mostly runs below 140/90 then medication is not needed.
Please follow a low sodium diet.
Reducing salt intake to less than 2 grams a day will also drop your BP.
Please also follow a low fat diet with plenty of dietary fibers.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****