Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Male. Past 2 monts or so, low grade nausea. Symptoms of gall…

Customer Question
Male 69. Past 2 monts...
Male 69. Past 2 monts or so, low grade nausea. Symptoms of gall bladder, bloating, pain under ribs, etc. Sonogram on pancreas, liver and gallbladder negative. Specialist put me on Prylosec for a month. Helped a lot. All symptoms disappeared. Past two week doing great. Saturday, I ate some seafood not cooked right. Was torn up in the stomach and abd. discomfort Saturday morning, felt fine Saturday night. Same yesterday and today. Would it hurt to get back on that Prylosec since it worked so well???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/29/2015
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
What symptoms are you presently having? Do you have fever, diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting? Where exactly in the abdomen do you have pain?
Low grade nausea that subsides as the day progresses. No vomiting. Passed some undigested rice this morning. Discomfort in upper abdomen. Mostly solid stools and a touch of some loosness.
Sleep good and fee alright first hour or so after waking up
I feel better now than I did when I got up, so it's subsiding again
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
You are suffering from viral gastroenteritis or from food poisoning. Both these conditions are mild and resolve without treatment. But some people need to go to the hospital due to complications such as dehydration. So now your main concern is to avoid dehydration.
Hence you need to make sure that you replace the lost fluids in diarrhea. Drink plenty of liquid by taking small, frequent sips. Allow your stomach to settle and avoid eating solid foods for a few hours. Gradually begin to eat bland, easy-to-digest foods. You also need to rest. If fever is present you can take tylenol. You can also take prilosec if you are feeling acidity and burning type of pain in the abdomen. It won't be harmful. However you need to concentrate more on avoiding dehydration. The tylenol will also be helpful for the abdominal pain. Make sure that you are urinating normally and that your urine is not dark, which is a sign of dehydration. If you continue to get the pain after 1 week, or if there are symptoms such as high grade fever, increased pain, bloody stools, persistent nausea and vomiting, skin that appears yellow, severe tenderness when you touch your abdomen, or swelling of the abdomen please consult your doctor or go to the ER.
Take care.
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor