Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have upper chest pains, it's painful to breathe deeply, and

Customer Question

I have upper chest pains, it's painful to breathe deeply, and a lot of gas being generated in my stomach. I've been to the ER and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now it's happening more frequently and I'm a lot of pain. Don't know what to do. I can't afford another ER visit.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is there any tenderness if you press on the chest in the area of oain?
What evaluation was done in the ER?
Did they advise taking any medicines?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
Whenever someone is having chest pain, the usual recommendation would be to be seen in the ER. This is because one of the possible causes of chest pain is from the heart, which is the one cause of chest pain that can be acutely life threatening. Once an appropriate evaluation has been done to exclude heart disease as the cause of pain, then it would be appropriate to consider other causes of chest pain.
There are a couple of common causes of chest pain that is worse with a deep breath. It can be related to conditions in the chest, which can be infectious or inflammatory. It can also be related to musculoskeletal inflammation in the rib cage. In this latter case, there will commonly be tenderness when pressing on the area of inflammation.
Certain problems of the GI tract also can cause upper chest pain, such as acid reflux and esophageal spasm. It is not common for these conditions to have exacerbation of the pain with a deep breath, but while the worsening with a deep breath makes these causes less likely, it does not exclude these causes of chest pain.
Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, there are a couple of home interventions that can be considered once heart disease has been excluded. It would be reasonable to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.