Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a single parent of 4 and I have a more than full-time

Customer Question

I am a single parent of 4 and I have a more than full-time job that requires many very early morning meetings. I feel that I am more tired then a normal 40 year old and would benefit from a drug to help me focus and not be so tired. However, I feel silly going to my doctor with these so-called 'symptoms'. What options do I have??? Can I get adderall or any other type of medication to help me without visiting a dr? Odd question, but I'm desperate now to try and do more and sleep less and I honestly feel weird bringing this to a doctor. Just thought I'd check if you have other ideas or suggestions for deing with this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

When you are not having to attend frequent early morning meetings and are able to get normal nights of sleep, are you still having any difficulty with tiredness or focus?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

It is illegal for a doctor to prescribe Adderall without performing a personalized face-to-face assessment. Therefore, a prescription cannot be obtained over the internet or via a phone consultation. These prescriptions cannot be obtained without seeing a doctor.

As for your options, that would depend upon the underlying cause of the symptoms. Whether the symptoms of tiredness and difficulty with focusing are present when you are able to get good nights of sleep would help to clarify the underlying cause. In someone with ADHD, then the symptoms would be present regardless of whether there are adequate nights of sleep. However, if the symptoms are only present when there is inadequate sleep, that would suggest that the symptoms are due to sleep deprivation instead.

Generally speaking, Adderall and similar medicines are only indicated for these symptoms when they are due to ADHD. If the symptoms are due to inadequate sleep, then the options generally are to rearrange schedules to get more sleep or to use mild stimulants, such as caffeine, as in the energy drinks. I realize that rearranging schedules may be extremely difficult for a single parent, but these medicines are not indicated for these situations, and as controlled substances, doctors can get in trouble if they were to prescribe the medicines for these situations.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.