Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Again I'm up a few hours after I went to sleep I read online

Customer Question
that older adults have a...
Again I'm up a few hours after I went to sleep I read online that older adults have a waking up early problem compared to younger adults which can't fall asleep being the more common problem
I'm sure all my problems with sleep are thanks to the issues I been having mentally and emotionally
And so I don't know what to do this scares me very very much
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/26/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Hello again--
The problem with altered and diminished sleep due to AGE would not apply to you at age 35!!
It could be related to issues such as anxiety or depression.That is common.
I suspect that the right sleep aid would help you. It may be helpful to reset a pattern for period of time at least .
I agree with your measures to try good sleep hygiene.
I think that you might speak with your doctor about trial of Lunesta or Trazadone....
I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD
I'm going to try I'll be seeing my neurologist psychiatrist next week
I had another question off sleep and depression topic and it's in regards ***** ***** fingernails they've taken on thanks to my depression and sedentary lifestyle again thanks to my depression , a bulbous appearance due to smoking a lot more than I ever did , anyway my question is how serious can this be ? I went for ct scan of my chest and pulmonary function test and as far as I was told everything was normal pft test rise and ct scan also all tho the radiologist report said I had mild emphysema and chronic bronchitis
I'm thinking of going for a second opinion due to fact I don't feel any breathlessness or anything like that I don't even ever cough Like from a smokers cough and I don't smoke all that much either anymore

Hello--

The change that you describe is called "clubbing" This is common in long term or heavy smokers. the change probably occurs due to carbon monoxide binding to hemoglobin and reducing the effective oxygen delivery to tissues.The rapid growing nailed reflects this effect ...also it is at the end of a circulation cycle ...vasoconstriction also has effect..

As to your general health I would hope for you that someday you may be able to kick this habit. likely nothing you ever do medically would be as likely to improve your health and extend life as that change.For example a person( nonsmoker ) age 60 has 80 percent chance survival to AGE 70...person (smoker) the odds drop to 40 percent

So I'm the long run it makes huge difference to your health..

Best Regards---

Anthony Bray MD

Is the clubbing a sign I should be concerned with like I should worry and get second opinion with maybe another ct scan ? Or just let it be and keep my smoking to a minimum as I been doing for a while now I smoke less than Half a pack a day like I'm average in days that I smoke I'll smoke like 5 cigs Compared to almost two packs a day when my mental issue really came in full fledged

Hello!

No I'm not saying that you necessarily need a repeat of any recent work up as to your pulmonary function . It is just a sign of you smoking ...that's all...

Smoking is of course detrimental to your health in ways you have probably never imagined such as bladder cancer risk for example.

Should you do your best to kick habit ...definitely in my opinion!!

pulmonary worries would depend on if you have concerning symptoms of coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath. At your age I would guess you to be at early stage of COPD and not yet needing inhaler. I would guess that you may have decreased exercise tolerance vs 5 or 10years ago but not short of breath at rest. I would doubt that pulmonary function tests or chest xray or chest CT would be that remarkable at this time. If you smoke over next 10 plus years though these remarks would not likely be the same ...

I hope that this helps to clarify. Let me know if you have further questions or if I may be of further help.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!!

Anthony Bray MD

Hello again--
I hope that you will remember to leave positive feedback as that would help me receive credit for my efforts.
If you would like to set up a phone conversation that would be fine. We could very quickly cover territory in that way if you wish. I will place the offer and you are welcome to try this route if you prefer.it is a modest added charge for that service.
Best Regards!!!
Anthony Bray MD
High dr Anthony I have a question in regards ***** ***** mental health again
Life has taken on changes I can't describe to the point that I've lost my identity and ability to connect not only to life as a whole but my family and friends the same its like no matter where I go who I'm with it what I do I never feel like and above all think like myself I can't explain in detail with examples what I mean by this but it's turned me and my families life inside out and upside down
I feel there is no fixing this impossible cause I feel it's life that's thrown me off not my brain

Hello again --

What you express is complex in its very nature. Has anything traumatic happened to you from a psychological standpoint? Refresh my memory on the time frame of this change ....

Have you pursued counseling (I presume that you have from previous conversations)

You have had EEG? That was normal??

Are you depressed? recent MRI of brain??

Do you have family history of psychological illness??

Let me know what details may be helpful. Lets review what steps have been taken toward the altered sense of self as well as the sleep deprivation issue.

Best Regards ***** *****

No family history of psychological problems no eeg but yesnive had mri and I been going to intensive counseling for brain injury which I'm sure isn't the cause of my problems my injury happened in 1997 and I live a normal healthy life since then
But one morning I woke up feeling detached and everything I saw , the nothings in life made it harder and harder for me to hold onto my identity and my thoughts and thought pattern which I thought was just anxiety and brushed it off as something I would deal with and something that would pass
I feel
Like life gaveth and life taketh and that's what has happened to me but this is something nobody will ever understand especially that I can't explain it
I'm just not me no more ! I was just at a family party and had a break down cause I felt totally lost and detached meanwhile I was with the closest of all my family members but feeling as if I was in a place filled with strangers and not one life cue bringing me out of me if you know what I mean
I have totally lost my identity and memory of who and how I was so I can't even say what I lost

Hello again---

Well it is beyond the scope of me being able to diagnose your condition or treat you but I would ask your psychiatrist about possible diagnosis of schizoaffective disoder??? This is not. diagnosis for you but a consideration (I want to be clear as to our limits here) It seems striking that you suddenly felt so different in your own self image ...that is a very striking type symptom...you seem to me to have a mood component to this as well...

I would think that you may benefit from an antidepressant/ mood stabilizer/ and sleep aid...

I would follow up with your psychiatrist on this ...

I hope that our discussion may help to point you in the right direction...

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

In life we see and have cues that reflect us back to us wether through family friends or just life correct ? And for me for a long time all the cues made it impossible for me to hold grip onto myself and now this been going on for so long that I've totally lost myself and thanks to this I can't do anything from things as simple as eating and keeping healthy to things a little more complex like being and living independently and making a life for myself
And as far as mental health issues in my family there are none except for me and an aunt of mine years ago who was my uncles wife so no blood relation
And for treatment and counseling I been going to both a brain injury day treatment program which hasn't helped at all yet and a neurologist/psychiatrist and he hasn't helped any either
I've totally lost sense of myself to the point I can't even hold conversations due to lack of thoughts wether with family friends or strangers i feel there is no reason to go on but I am not suicidal in any way due to my fear of dying young when being that I'm not ready to do so yet given fact that physically I'm pretty healthy as far as I know from doctors

Hello again --

You express yourself thoroughly and intelligently here in written form . So I think that you probably have an exaggerated FEELING of being INADEQUATE or INCAPABLE of effective communication .Whether you have trouble speaking to others could be different than written communication I realize. Your perception is very much a real problem even if you have a good true ability to communicate.

perhaps adding a second psychiatrist or therapist with fresh eyes on your situation may be helpful. (I'm not saying to discharge your current doctor as this individual probably knows you much much better than I do and may have a better handle on what is going on...)

Still from our discussions and that you feel a lack of effective help I think that a second opinion and further consideration of your diagnosis and treatment may be helpful for you.

help to your situation and feelings may be out there but the mind is complex and there are not always clear answers or solutions to all problems. It is possible that you may fall into this category to some extent.

I hope that you may find some improvement with further evaluation and treatment.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

My current doctor doesn't really know me I've only visited him 2 maybe 3 times and he never knew me before the problems I mentioned above so in my mind I don't think it possible for this doctor to be able to help me ! Cause all he really knows is that I keep telling him I no longer think like me so mug that I can't tell him how I use to think being that I can't recall it so based on this what do you think I should do like how can anyone help me if I can't help them. Help me

Hello!

Follow up with this neurologist/psychiatrist doctor. Tell him as you have told me your symptoms. It is ok that you may not be able to explain exactly your past patterns ...you may not be able to explain things or detailed the past which you may not clearly remember. I think that you are on the right track to get help. You would seem to be seeing the right type specialist. It may take time to see benefit.

Improvement may be there ahead for you but honestly may be less than 100 percent.

Take the sleep deprivation for example . I think that your sleep pattern may be improved . it may be with a sleep world but this may be a helpful step to getting you feeling back toward normal.

The nature of these issues are complex and do take time. It is not like having strep throat that may be cleared with 10 days of antibiotics.

Hang in there and continue to follow up and get more evaluation . This type problem is more gradual for your doctor to be able to evaluate you in depth and probably try medication.

I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

you think my thoughts can be affected as I been explaining to you by depression like nothing and no one I talk to stimulated any thoughts so that I can have a good feeling flowing intelligible conversation ? All it seems I can talk good and somewhat intelligent about is my situation

Hello!

Yes I think that you may be helped and find yourself more at ease with yourself again. I think you benefit from all sorts of mental and emotional positive stimulatuon. expressing yourself helps. Spending time with friends helps. Exercise should help.

There may be a role for certain meds

I think improving your sleep will help.

Follow up with your psychiatrist and be patient and keep optimistic!!

I will discuss further with you and follow along!

Take Care!!

you think me losing myself as in my identity can return ? I can't understand how I don't feel like myself or think and speak like myself anymore depression or not ? Is it possible I've lost myself forever

Hello again,

I don't know to what extent that you may regain your prior sense of NORMAL for you but I think that you may feel a sense of IMPROVEMENT toward normal again >> yes to that would ne my expectation...

I do not know your situaion well enough to give you any definite prognosis...

I would advise that to START with where you are today >> Try to be THANKFUL for the positives >> try to maintain more optimism than pessimism (easier said than done I realize)

OUtlook for the future on your part is an important aspect of your sense of well being >> the feeling lost and hopeless works against you!!

Get outdoors and go for walks > that is a positive and therapeutic step in the right direction and easy for you to do if you can make yourself actually DO THAT!!

You may try over the counter Melatonin 3mg plus Benedryl 25 to 50mg near bedtime tonight >> see if you have a bit better sleep from that and let me know tomorrow or next day !

It is a process of taking the right steps. Expect no immediate fix or miracle BUT BE PATIENT!! That is important >> these steps in the right direction will take time and add up for the positive for you psychologically ..

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Take care !!

You say at the end of this paragraph yes to that would be my exception what do you mean by that that I lost my identity for ever is that what your saying yes to

Hello again --

No-- I am not telling you that you have lost your sense of identity forever

I am expressing that I think that you will see a good expectation for improvement with the right care and positive steps forward

Ok thank you your opinion or whatever it's called is greatly appreciated and it helps a lot

Ok well I hope so. let me know if I may be of further help.

Best Regards---

Anthony Bray MD

I'm not sleeping it's gotten very bad My question is how bad is this ? Are my organs going to start to fail ? I keep thinking I have acquired fatal familial insomnia or something like that cause I been up since 230 am and I'm not even tired , I never crash

Hello!

Well I don't think that it is your fault.....I don't think it is inevitable ...Try to keep hope....follow up with your doctor....hopefully he will be able to help you....

Hope is a tough thing to have when I see daily how I e somehow been wiped of all thoughts and knowledge on many many things I once had all my life it was like I had a video or song of knowledge playing in my mind all the time I was knowledged all my life on many many different things and in many different areas but somehow someway it seems like life has turned away from me ? The life that opened my mind up and taught me things etcetc
Basically my belief is life gives it and life takes it as stated in the bible job 21 or something like that
I mean I had built a very strong foundation character personality identity after my coma back in 1997 and one day I woke up and it was like everything I was seeing in life traffic cars people sounds basically everything and anything I'd normally see we'd all normally see was making it impossible for me to hold onto my train of thought of this makes any sense ? And I thought I'd just tough it out thinking it was just anxiety fogging me up In The moment and stuff and that it would pass like once home or what have you but this wasn't the case !!! I basically lost all my knowledge sharpness insight
It's so crazy it's like I've gone from being extremely smart to being dumber than a box of rocks
I can't even grasp what someone trying to teach me if ever someone trying to teach me ! And I was never like this I'd normally catch on to things pretty damn fast

Hello again >>

Clearly from your writing you ARE NOT DUMB!!

I understand that your perception of yourself and your abilities has drastically changed. There is a distinction to be realized by you I think and that is in part here at least >>YOU FEEL DUMB or DIFFERENT // somehow drastically compromised..

It may well be that your sense of SELF has changed but it may be as though you look in a house of mirrors.. your own self perception is itself distroted I suspect from your history

ASk and discuss this further with your psychiatrist I encourage you!! I tend to suspect ( but I can't give you any specific diagnosis) that you may suffer from schizoaffective disorder..

IF THAT MIGHT BE THE CASE THEN THE PROPER MEDICATIONS AND THERAPY may well hold benefit for you >>

I can't not make you any guarantees here or offer any magic pill but I think that your case definitely warrants further INDEPTH evaluation by the best psychiatrist >>

I encourage you to pursure the best evaluation and treatment..

Hang in there!!

AS a favor to me I would ask that you please press the response for positive feedback. This enables me to be compensated for my efforts if you are satisfied with my service to you.

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion or concerns. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

I'm very worried about my sleep habits being so off again third night in a row I've slept just a couple of hours and I been up since Fell asleep on couch at 1130 or so woke up at 130 am and been up since did the same thing last night and the night before I'm starting to worry that I have aquired that prion disease fatal familial insomnia I mean why can't I sleep ? And why am I not tired I even worked more work after work hoping to make me tired but it doesn't happen I even had a glass of wine beofore 1130 and then took a Benadryl when i woke up and I couldn't fall back asleep at 130 am but now 2 hours later I'm still up waiting patiently for some type of tiredness to come over me which doesn't seem like is going to happen and I'm worried that this is going to cause me problems serious ones cause sleep as far as I always knew is necessary for good health not excessive sleep but at least five hours of good solid sleep

Hello again

That would be very rare diagnosis and certain features such as difficulty with movement have not been described by you. I think that you are letting your fears get ahead of you.

Best Regards---

What kind of movement difficulties
What kind of movement difficulties my arms feel awkward to move

Hello --

You may discuss your concern with your neurologist. That is a prion disease caused by a genetic disorder. muscle twitching stiffness of movement are included as possible symptoms...

This disease is extremely rare

I hope that this is helpful. please leave positive feedback so that I may receive credit for my time and effort.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

My anxiety as I'm sure you've noticed has me very on edge I was earlier this week stressing my no sleep problem and now I'm back to stressing my clubbed fingernails I stressing it cause I was just with an acquaintance of mine who smokes a lot and his nails are not at all clubbed unlike mine and it has me asking myself why and what this means for me and my prognosis based on fact my nails (from what I read and see picture wise online) my nails are at the late clubbing stage which I believe through what I read is the stage before the final stage which is nail curvature. I only stress and worry not cause of my anxiety but instead cause of two facts , 1 my depression and mental thought disorder issues caused me to smoke way more than ever up until a year ago or so and live and eat unhealthy as compared to before I start Ed having mental issues related /unrelated to my tbi the fact that il aware of my fingernail changes and that these changes are thanks to smoking is causing me to be very worried as to what this means for me health wise being that everything I found online about clubbing states that the most likely cause is pulmonary and or heart problems which I don't have (heart) so I'm very worried !!! Should I be ? I smoke very little these days 3/4 cigs if any one n says I decide to smoke yet my nails have gotten destroyed which has me thinking my lungs must be in bad shape health wise
Any info greatly appreciated

Hello again--

The clubbing is due to your smoking. You need to quit smoking -- definitely yes to that ...you are young and by no means DOOMED at your age ...we do not define pulmonary prognosis based on finding of clubbing of nails..

Continue follow up with your psychiatrist/ neurologist I think!

I hope that this is helpful. Please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards--

Anthony Bray MD

It is in your best interest to minimize and quit smoking though...

I think it is not useful for you to obsess and worry but do what you need to do!!

I think you would be best to consult your doctor and that you would benefit from a sleep aid . I think that would be a positive step for you but you seem resistent to the idea ....

Not resistant I took sleep aid last night rozerem and it didn't do anything I got like two hours sleep

Hello again,

Ok that is encoraging to me that you are trying. Other medication may end up work I g better for you. you want to give any particular medication. a good trial of several days before giving up on it however.

I think that the right medication FOR YOU should help...

Hang in there!

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Is it possible that a depressed person can lose themselves and they're abilities like I no longer understand anything anymor that I always understood like business wise family stiff basically life ?

Hello--

Yes possible...severe depression can have very significant cognitive and memory consequences. I think your history and questions continue to point to need for ongoing thorough Neuro and psychiatric evaluation . My impression does include my estimate that you may perceive your abilities as being worse than they actually are however ...

Well if I can't see my way through something this is the cause and effect of why I see myself in a distorted way so to speak like things id normally look at and see my way through doing it clearly , I now am totally lost like my mind been wiped of all I haven't practiced in a long time years ago I'd have these problems info didn't do certain things for a while but once engaging myself in whatever tasks , it would usually come right back of you know what I mean but now no matter how hard I try or how deep I look , I can't find or see my way or the way
I used to know business all business as well as being skilled in novice ways with lots of different things like construction and stuff like that given my family background ( I had uncles and cousins in construction ) and my father a jack of all trades and a master of many but somehow I lost it
Hello again--
Well if you do not keep up in a certain field of knowledge or skill then over time you may lose sharpness in a particular field...
It is difficult to know exactly how you mean...not knowing the details of how you feel a sense of loss...
Still I think that you would benefit from psychological help and addressing the sleep issue as well...
I hope that this is helpful.
Please remember to leave positive feedback so that I may get credit for my efforts..
Thank you and Best Regards--
Anthony Bray MD
How /what I mean by a sense of loss
With past capabilities knowledge and understanding is if I try to execute s certain task that was like second nature to me wether what I do everyday for work or any of the many other things I did somewhat regularly , I these days have trouble doing them as if in trying to do something I know nothing about which is Obsurd being that my work for instance I been doing daily for the past 18 years but then I started losing focus and grip on myself and my capabilities and while this was happening I strangely started getting less work coming my way , technical mechanical machine service repair work and then when it came back my way I was at a total loss as knowing what to do like life somehow stripped me of all my mental knowledge and skill and I been freaking out since and so losing sleep not eating and basically just living in a total fog I know what I'm saying is very vague thanks to my being in a fog making it hard for me to reflect assess and point out what I see wrong if u get what I mean ? I'm in one of the supposedly most reputable places in the country for mental rehabilitation " langone , nyu, rusk institute for rehabilitation medicine where I am attending a program 4 days a week for 5 hours a day for 20 weeks , it's a brain injury treatment program which seems to have had little effect on relieving my symptoms thus far and they're suggesting I do another 20 week outpatient as doing now program cycle which to me seems useless being that I so lost as to what I lost that I can't see how this team of experts can help me get back on track and find myself again
I feel like life stressors thanks to people has caused me to become depersonalized divested of all my identity and individuality
Nothing drives me anymore like all the cues in life that used to focus me drive trigger food cravings ideas etc etc changed from
Positive to negative if this makes any sense and the same way life and me helped me mold and find myself it after changing helped me lose myself no matter how hard I tried to stay focused and not lose myself if you get what I trying to say ? In my opinion life helps through what we see hear and when we see and hear these things , helps us stay connected to life ourselves our family friends etc etc I can't make sense of what I'm going through I can't put what I seeing into perspective (I've always been very receptive and introspective ) very very sharp( like my father he a very sharp man successful since a kid he owned his first business at 15 years old a fruit store and then did many other things after that )what making me feel negative and not able to eat or sleep or do anything exercise also
I feel what got me all twisted mentally and emotionally is what I see (life) I can no longer relate to or understand what I seeing good or bad and thanks to this I somehow lost myself also being that life took on a new shape thanks to what I shared bout myself and now instead of just me doing certain things and life reflecting it back to me , there are hundreds of people of not more doing the same thing , and my brain picked up on this but it didn't help me seeing my views coming to
Life through people I don't know it's like I been sold out I shared my views with people that were not good people and they took my views and ran with them for what it was worth to them and while doing so they shared them with others and others shared them with others and so in the end this totally destroying me and rewriting me mentally being that life took on a new shape as if I created it
Does any of this even with all the extra confusing not making too much sense information make any sense to you ? I would normally be able to point out what I feel and think I going through crystal clear but my kind so fogged up that it's like the person I was before never existed
The person I was before all my life was very clear in my every way wether it be thorough with work related stuff or being perfectly descriptive basically painting a couture with words so to get my point on any one given thing across clearly of you know what I mean ? I so off mentally if I go
To doctor I can't even explain my symptoms clearly , again something that was never like me
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
The other expert has opted out.
We answer questions here. We do not replace your doctor. We do not diagnose. We do not treat. We only answer medical questions.
Do you have a specific question, succinctly, that has not been answered?
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician