Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had an accident yesterday at work. I smelled a bad odour…

Customer Question
I had an accident yesterday...
I had an accident yesterday at work. I smelled a bad odour from myself and when I went to the bathroom, I noticed brown stains on my underwear.
I had a similar accident about 2 months ago. But I think the first time happened due to passing wind when I went out for the lunch.
Since the first time I had this accident, everyday I've been using a nivea spray on my anus. Recently, I tried a new spray which hasn't been working well. It gives me a burning sensation. Yesterday morning, I had a very bad burning sensation due to the alcohol in the spray. And the accident happened 2-3 hours after I started to work.
I'm not sure if this is a personal hygiene issue or whether it is classified as anal discharge. There was no blood on anything other than little brown stains on my underwear. I'm concerned about this.
Could you please advise me on this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
6/25/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.
This accident yesterday would typically not be due to the sexual activity a few months ago. There are many possible causes of inflammation and infection of the anus. The most likely is not a sexually transmitted disease. It is possible that there could be a sexually transmitted infection of the anus, but it would occur with anal sex or stimulation and apparently was not performed with the sexual encounter than what you describe.
Inflammation or inflammation of the anus is more likely to happen in someone that does not follow good hygiene, but it can still happen in someone that is practicing good hygiene.
So, it is most likely that this is not a sexually transmitted infection, but the swab taken by your doctor will be able to give a definite identification of the problem.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Thank you very much for your advice. His opinion was that it could be something I had eaten that caused more water/mucus (not sure what term he used). And because mucus has been in the inside, bacteria is growing there and caused inflammation. Can you elaborate more on this please? Also, could it be due to using spa? I used the spa in the building on Sunday evening.
As I said above, there are many different possible causes of inflammation and infection of the anus. Your doctor is correct that one of the possible causes would be an accumulation of mucus that then allows for grow of bacteria. Mucus can accumulate for various reasons, including a change in diet. It is also possible that a spa can be a source of bacteria, but that would be one of the many germs that are commonly present in the colon that could have arisen from another person that used the spa. However, none of these germs would be a STD.