Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 52 year old female... menopausal... I got a thyroid

Customer Question

I am 52 year old white female... menopausal...
I got a thyroid test completed. Do you know what a thyroid Peroxidase antibodies is and a test result of 177, and a absolute EOSINOPHILS test result of 512 and a Vitamin D, 25 OH result of 26
Thoughts
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
These are three different issues.
Thyroid peroxidase, or TPO, in an enzyme in the thyroid, and antibodies that develop to this enzyme occurs in certain autoimmune conditions. A result of 177 is significantly elevated. If the thyroid function tests, such as TSH, T4, and T3, are abnormal, then an elevated TPO antibody level indicates that the reason for the abnormality is autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid. However, if the thyroid function tests are normal, it identifies a group of people at increased risk of developing dysfunction in the future. It does not require any current care, but it is a reason for routine ongoing monitoring of thyroid function.
An absolute eosinophil count of 512 is normal in may labs, but since you have included it, it apparently is considered abnormal in this lab. You do not say the normal range, but this is probably mildly elevated relative to the normal range, so is likely not an issue. About 5% of normal people will have a result that is only mildly abnormal, and this is not a concern. If the eosinophil count is significantly elevated, it is most often due to allergies, although there are certain infections that can also increase the eosinophil count.
A vitamin D level of 26 is not yet deficient, which would involve a level below 20. However, a level in the 20s is considered borderline low, or also called vitamin D insufficiency. The usual treatment is vitamin D replacement and monitoring to assure that the level corrects over time.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My T4 and T3 test seem to be in normal range.I have had symptoms of joint pain., weight gain, tiredness. is this a thyroid or vitamin d issue ? and of course lots of hot flashes. I have exercised my entire life and now I am sore and gaining weight...
The TSH should also be checked, rather than relying only on the T4 and T3. If the TSH is also normal, then the symptoms would not be attributed to thyroid disease. However, if the TSH is elevated, it would be worrisome that the symptoms could be related to thyroid dysfunction, and thyroid replacement may be considered, even if the T4 and T3 are normal.
Vitamin D insufficiency usually does not cause symptoms. It usually require a level < 20 to develop symptoms, which is why there is a distinction between vitamin D insufficiency and vitamin D deficiency. However, the evidence of symptoms caused by low level of vitamin D is not consistent. There are certain symptoms that are clearly caused by vitamin D deficiency, but there are other symptoms for which the evidence is unclear. The usual approach is to replace the vitamin D and see which symptoms improve.
It is also common to develop joint pain, weight gain, and tiredness as symptoms of menopause. In fact, there are a number of symptoms that can occur with menopause that are similar to symptoms of low thyroid. However, as the body becomes accustomed to the low levels of estrogen, the menopausal symptoms will usually ease.