Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My mother-in-law every so often looses blood and has to have

Customer Question

my mother-in-law every so often looses blood and has to have blood given to her, no one can explain where she looses the blood and why. She has had numerous test done and with no results. please help us figure this out.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
I am sorry about your mother in law loosing blood
she should have her stools checked for microscopic blood or stool occult blood tests to see if she is loosing blood through her stool.
if there is blood in her stool and if upper endoscopy and colonoscopy can't see where she is loosing blood, she should have a pill endoscopy where she swallows a pill and the pill can look through her small intestine to try to look for areas of bleeding
she can also have a nuclear medicine RBC red blood cell nuclear study to see if radioactively tagged red blood cells can tell where she might be bleeding from
she also might benefit from a bone marrow biopsy and ultrasound scan of her spleen
sometimes enlarged spleen can be a sign of the spleen sequestering red blood cells abnormally and taking them too soon out of circulation.
talk to her doctors about these tests
let me know if you have questions.