Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

We flew into south Texas on Friday night... Saturday

Customer Question

Hi, we flew into south Texas on Friday night... Saturday night I had a very scary episode and I'm hoping you can shine some light on this for me... I stayed up ether late... When I layed down I had pretty bad heartburn... Then I was looking at stuff on
my phone and I started shaking... First my legs but then it turned into full body shaking... Like I couldn't control it... My stomach felt upset too, so I got up and had a bowel movement... When I was walking, my legs felt like spaghetti and I didn't seem
to be walking right... Finally after about 10-20 minutes of on and off deep breathing it passed and I fell asleep... Felt a bit weak the next day... Today, 2 days later, I feel shakey but not like I was shaking the other night... Today it's more of hand tremors,
which I usually get when I come to south Texas... Not sure if it's the humidity??? I live in a very dry climate and come here to visit my family... Any ideas of what might have caused this or why it happened?!?!? It scared the crapt out of me!!! Thank you
for any help... Also, I've noticed the last few times we've been here that my fingers and toes swell on and off??? Is that the humidity??? Thanks again...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello! In reviewing your history I suspect 2 things going on..A) The heartburn I think was just heartburn = GERD which makes sense that that would be worse lying down ....Tips wait 1 and 1/2 hour after you eat before lying down...if ongoing or frequent then other steps may be taken such as avoiding hot spicy foods or taking an acid reducing medicine such as Medium may help :) Your symptoms of feeling nausea, weak shakey seem likely in your circumstance to be related to hear exhaustion -- the heat and humidity may cause you to sweat more and cause dehydration and electrlyte changes. These changes may cause muscle fasciculations ( rapid tremors in bursts ) So hydrate and advise replenish electrolytes ! Gatorade is helpful ...low sodium may cause nausea and weakness ...low potassium and magnesium may cause muscle cramps or shakiness or fasciculations... I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards! Anthony Bray MD
typo -- happy face supposed to be B)......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I've been drinking Gatorade and some more water... This may be a very silly question, but how much Gatorade is too much??? Im assuming I can't drink just that... Constantly or it will really make my electrolytes wacky???
Hello... Aim to drink about 8 to 12 ounces every 2 hours while awake.--- Gatorade alone for a while probably better than just water as water is so dilute...electrolytes are much more dilute in Gatorade vs our blood stream !! So you need not worry so much as to overdoing the Gatorade ...it is quite safe!! Let me know if you have further questions!Take Care!Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, not sure if this is related... But, the night this happened, my entire abdomen an stomach area was burning hot!!! Like it felt like it on the inside and when I put my hand on it it was burning hot...
Hello again, That sounds unusual...has that settled down for you? Did you have any fever at that time do you think? Any diarrhea? The abdomen feeling hot inside and outer skin is not a typical sounding symptom...you may have been over heated in general ...feeling the abdomen seeming hot could perhaps have been associated with high core temperature ...this can occur with excess heat or fever I don't get impression of you having ongoing febrile illness now ..correct me if you do... I suspect effects of heat excess...HEAT EXHAUSTION which is short of the diagnosis of "HEAT STROKE"....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the input... Do you think that something along the lines of diverticulosis or another related disease could cause something like this??? No fever now, and didn't feel feverish that night either...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I felt like I was going to have diarrhea, but I went and it was loose but not diarrhea... Yesterday and today I've been having thin stools, formed but loose. Sort of snake like...
Hello again,
No if diverticulosis or diverticultis then I would think it would be more focal with GI type symptoms... diarrhea likely...lower left quadrant abdominal pain more likely with that...
Well loose stools could make these more possible...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another question... I have a hiatal hernia, apparently... Could this be it??? Or something to do with it???
Hello again, A hiatal hernia means that the upper portion of the stomach may rise above the level of the diaphragm >> this may increase your tendancy to have reflux problems ( or heartburn or GERD = same problem...) It may relate to heartburn symptoms or nausea but I think NOT related to other symptoms that we have discussed. I hope that this is helpful. let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD