Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I recently had emergency bowel obstruction surgery. I came

Customer Question

I recently had emergency bowel obstruction surgery. I came home with an uneventful surgery and hospital recovery period. Once at home my left leg and the left side of my abdomen began to swell.. a lot. Back to the ER. Had multiple tests and was given Lassix and a potassium pill to take one time per day.
Today I got up and noticed right away that my right leg was numb. Now I have it elevated, but what is causing all of this? I've had another CT Scan, sonogram of my veins in my legs, lots of blood work and got an ok from the hospital.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,The right leg numbness is due to the nerve involvement.The nerve inflammation is possible from the recent tests, contrast dye used and even from lasix.Lasix induced neuropathy can be experienced by some people.Another possibility is the nerve compression at your lower back.Lastly, this can be a presentation of stroke also although some other symptoms also will develop shortly.So if you see spreading of numbness or any other symptoms like weakness, then you need to go to the ER right away.Otherwise, please discuss with your doctor tomorrow.Vitamin B12 1000 mcg, vitamin B6 50 mg daily can be tried. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****