Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is the effect if a woman receives by contact a small

Customer Question
dose of testosterone that was...
what is the effect if a woman receives by contact a small dose of testosterone that was applied topically to her partner's skin?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/19/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.

The effect of a single small dose of testosterone received after exposure to her partner's skin is trivial. The primary concern with exposure to a partner is multiple exposures over time. With multiple exposures, then the risks are male changes, such as increased hair growth on the face, loss of hair on the head, and increased size of genitals. Over time, there also would be an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. This would not occur from a single small exposure.

A single small exposure may cause some minor side effects, such as upset stomach, but it will not cause the serious side effects that is the reason for the warning on the product.

So, if there was a single small exposure, there is no reason for significant concern, but it should cause more careful application of the topical testosterone in the future to avoid additional exposures.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
If the woman is postmenopausal (60 yrs old) and on HRT, can her sexual interest be increased by a little testosterone?
Actually yes, although it is controversial whether to do so.
There has been a product available for years that adds a small amount of methyltestosterone to the usual estrogen for post-menopausal women. The product is called Estratest. One of the advantages of using Estratest is that the testosterone component can increase sexual interest, although there are other symptoms that also may be helped.
This product has become controversial and the brand name is ***** ***** being supplied by the drug company, but the concern is over the risks of long term use of testosterone. There is clear evidence that it will help with increasing sexual interest if this develops as a symptom after menopause.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor