Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife suffers from MS and has constant discomfort in her…

Customer Question
My wife suffers from MS...
My wife suffers from MS and has constant discomfort in her rectum with the feeling she has to have a bowel movement even after having one. Is there any medical treatment or drug that can relieve this discomfort and allow her to function normally?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
6/19/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 3 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
That can be frustrating.
First of all, she needs a colonoscopy to rule out any rectal tumor which can cause this sensation.
If normal colonoscopy, then this is a nerve related problem.
MS can affect rectal nerves also.
In that case, Amitriptyline 25 to 50 mg at bedtime can be used daily.
Loperamide tablets also can be used as needed.
in fact loperamide is over the counter.
Another medication that can help is an anticholinergic one like oxybutynine or hyosciamine.
Please discuss with a GI specialist.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****