How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29088
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife suffers from MS and has constant discomfort in her

Customer Question

My wife suffers from MS and has constant discomfort in her rectum with the feeling she has to have a bowel movement even after having one. Is there any medical treatment or drug that can relieve this discomfort and allow her to function normally?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
That can be frustrating.
First of all, she needs a colonoscopy to rule out any rectal tumor which can cause this sensation.
If normal colonoscopy, then this is a nerve related problem.
MS can affect rectal nerves also.
In that case, Amitriptyline 25 to 50 mg at bedtime can be used daily.
Loperamide tablets also can be used as needed.
in fact loperamide is over the counter.
Another medication that can help is an anticholinergic one like oxybutynine or hyosciamine.
Please discuss with a GI specialist.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****

Related Medical Questions