Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

QUESTION}Why does my tongue go numb when the weather feels…

Customer Question
QUESTION}Why does my tongue go...
QUESTION}Why does my tongue go numb when the weather feels cold
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 3 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Cold sensitivity can cause this.
The nerve endings on the tongue can get nonfunctional on exposure to cold.
This can affect some individuals due to the unknown reasons.
If you do not have any other symptoms, then this is not stroke or any other serious condition.
Best option is to avoid cold exposure as much as possible.
Another option is to use certain medications to improve blood flow to the tongue during cold and hence lessen the symptoms.
We employ calcium channel blocker like amlodipine daily if it is bothersome or you have high blood pressure problem.
No treatment is necessary otherwise.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****