Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A lump has suddenly appeared below my kneecap. It is a

Customer Question
swelling....
A lump has suddenly appeared below my kneecap. It is a swelling.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/19/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.
This is most likely a form of bursitis. There are a couple of bursa close to and below the kneecap, and if they get inflamed, they can swell and/or fill with fluid.
The usual first step would be the use of an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply ice to help ease swelling or moist heat to ease inflammation.
If it is persistent, there are other options that can be done by your doctor, such as prescription anti-inflammatory medicines or steroid injections. So, if the home interventions are not effective, it would be appropriate to see your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor