How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18428
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A lump has suddenly appeared below my kneecap. It is a swe

Customer Question

A lump has suddenly appeared below my kneecap. It is a swelling.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
This is most likely a form of bursitis. There are a couple of bursa close to and below the kneecap, and if they get inflamed, they can swell and/or fill with fluid.
The usual first step would be the use of an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to apply ice to help ease swelling or moist heat to ease inflammation.
If it is persistent, there are other options that can be done by your doctor, such as prescription anti-inflammatory medicines or steroid injections. So, if the home interventions are not effective, it would be appropriate to see your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.