Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 29 years old and I have sudden uncomfortable sensations

Customer Question

I am 29 years old and I have sudden uncomfortable sensations throughout my chest area when I'm driving. I also experience some tightness in my chest and a splutter sort of feeling when my heartbeat. I've seen a cardiologist and had a echo sound, stress test and everything came back clear. Somedays I'm fine other days those are my problems. Any help would be welcome. I don't have any family history of health issues, I don't have a very good excercise/diet regiment.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Are you having any shortness of breath or cough?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No cough. A little shortness in breath
Thank you for the additional information.
The most common cause of chest pain or discomfort in a young adult is musculoskeletal inflammation involving the chest wall, such as costochondritis, inflammation of the joints at the ends of the ribs. It is common for it to be more symptomatic when performing activities that involve exertion using the arms, such as driving.
It is reasonable to be concerned about heart pain first, since heart disease can be very serious if not identified early. Similarly, certain lung diseases also should be considered if there are lung symptoms, particularly if causing significant shortness of breath, although a little shortness of breath is not as worrisome.
At this point, it would be reasonable to manage it as musculoskeletal inflammation. It would be OK to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also can help to apply moist heat to the chest in the area of pain.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can this cause palpations and the splutter heart feeling also?
It will not directly cause palpitations and a spluttering heart sensation, but any condition that causes chest pain can cause a person to be anxious about their heart and cause these symptoms indirectly. Since you have had a heart evaluation that was clear, then that says that there is no heart condition causing these symptoms, so they are not worrisome as a sign of heart disease.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I went to the doctor today and she prescribed clonazepam 0.125mg. Do you think I should take this or what you suggested?
The clonazepam is a reasonable consideration for control of symptoms related to anxiety, including the indirect effect noted above. It will not affect any musculoskeletal inflammation, but it can help the heart symptoms related to anxiety.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need them both?
For the present perhaps. But once the underlying cause of the chest pain is eased, then there may be no further indirect effect on the heart and no further need for the clonazepam. And the management of the musculoskeletal chest pain will only need to be used during times that it is bothersome. For most people, the treatment of the musculoskeletal inflammation only requires treatment for a limited period of time. Therefore, while both medicines may be needed for now, it is unlikely that they will be needed indefinitely.