Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 34 year old female. 5'6" tall, weight 240. First Day

Customer Question

I'm a 34 year old female. 5'6" tall, weight 240. First Day of last period June 11. I have had a nagging headache for 3 days now. Started on monday afternoon. I had a sudden sharp pain on the left side about 2 inches above my ear. It lasted just a few seconds and it wasn't a tremendous pain. The pain zapped me a few times and then dulled to an all over headache. I can feel it sometimes throbbing mostly on my left side but sometimes on both sides. I've felt it in the front top and back of my head. I have also had some pulsing behind my left eye. My neck and upper back is sore (which isn't uncommon because I'm almost always sore there). Have taken aspirin twice and that doesn't seem to help. Last aspirin was taken at 8pm Tuesday night. The headache Makes me feel foggy and kind of seems to dull my senses. Have had a few times where I get this weird wave that passes. For like a second it Feels like panicky, makes me feel like I'm falling/dizzy, makes me suck in a breath because it takes me by surprise. Light or noise doesn't seem to make it worse, nor does activity or bending over. I have had no trouble sleeping. I have been quite tired the past few days. I have no weakness, no speech trouble, vision seems normal. I do suffer from anxiety. I have been recently eating an almost exclusively vegetarian diet for a few months. Closer to a vegan diet within the past week. I have had issues with dehydration in the past as well. I do have an appointment with a nurse practitioner later today but because I've been stressing about this for 3 days I wanted to see if I could rule out some of the scary diagnosis. Could be entirely possible that anxiety is making this worse. I have seen a therapist and my anxiety is usually under control but I have trouble controlling it when it comes to my health. Here are some of the things I have read that fit some of my symptoms.
*stroke
*brain bleed
*aneurysm
*brain tumor
*dehydration
*low iron (period, trying to follow a vegan diet)
*anxiety/tension
*migraine ( although I have no history of this)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

It is impossible to exclude these serious diagnoses based solely on symptoms. It can be said that it is vastly more likely that this is not due to one of the serious conditions. It is much more likely that this is due to migraines or a muscle contraction headache. It is also possible that there can be mixed headaches, a combination of migraine and muscle contraction features. Neurologic symptoms are more suggestive of migraine headaches. Anxiety can make either common headache worse, and also can be contributing to the neurologic symptoms.

The current recommendation is that if someone has new onset of a significant headache, it is better to be checked, as you are scheduled for later today. This recommendation is made with the realization that the bast majority of people will have a benign cause of the headaches, but it is important to identify the few people with a serious underlying cause of the headache. A normal exam is the primary tool that can be used to exclude serious conditions, but it may also be necessary to perform an imaging test of the head.

So, I can say that the serious conditions are unlikely, but it would require a proper evaluation to fully exclude serious causes of the headache and associated symptoms.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.