Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My anus itches mainly while sitting upright. Also while

Customer Question
working I work outside so...
My anus itches mainly while sitting upright. Also while working I work outside so I sweat a lot. I'm 23 years old.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/17/2015
Doctor: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 3 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
This condition of itchy anus is called Pruritus Ani.
There could be several causes for this, including pin worm, mucous leak due to stretching, infection, etc.
Most commonly it is due to irritant dermatitis due to vigorous use of toilet paper, scratching, etc. This leads to a vicious cycle in which the more the person scratches, the more it itches and so on. Such vigorous itching can lead to bleeding sometimes.
You have to try to break this cycle. You can try the following OTC medicines:
Tab. Claritin (OTC) 1 tab. once daily.
1% Hydrocortisone cream (OTC).
Avoid scratching.
Use soft toilet paper.
Do not use soap, etc. in the area.
Once the cycle is broken, you will usually get relief from this.
You can try this home treatment. This will help if it is due only to contact dermatitis, but will not help in case of other causes like pinworms. So you should not try this for long. If it does ease in about 5 days, or you have new symptoms like pain, then you need to go to the doctor at once.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.