Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and I was going over my…

Customer Question
Hi there, I am currently 21...
Hi there,
I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and I was going over my blood work results to check if I am immune to chickenpox and I discovered that my VSV IgG Ab came back as 131 mIU/mL Negative. Does this mean that I am not immune to chickenpox? My doctor did not bring this to my attention. I am concerned because I am a primary school teacher and worried about being exposed to the virus during pregnancy. Is there anything I can do to minimise my risk?
Thank you so much for your help.
Fiona
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2015
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
If the VZV IgG antibody was shown as negative on the test report like you say this means that you are not immune to chicken pox.
Since you are at a high risk of getting it because of the nature of your job, I would strongly recommend that you should get vaccinated for this.
A vaccine against this virus is available and I would recommend that you should visit your doctor for a prescription of this vaccine.
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.
Kind regards
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician