Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My wife is 76 years old. She played tennis for 40 years

Customer Question
My wife is 76 years...
My wife is 76 years old. She played tennis for 40 years until knee and back problems some 8 or so years ago. Gained weight but has lost 21 lbs over a period of time. Because of rather severe anxiety probs her psychiarist has on on several medications: Imipramine, Limotrigene, Neurontin and Nexium. They seem to be successful thus far. Current problem is she now seems to suffer from frequent dizzyness often resulting in falls which thus far have not resulted in any broken bones but cuts and bruises for sure. Her doctor rules out meds are causing these "unsteady" and "dizzy" problems.
Our concern is we have been lucky so far but we do not know where to go or what to do with the "falling spells". She attributed a fall today in a parking lot to catching a heel on something and was not dizzy at the time. Your advice please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/16/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
she should get a brain MRI scan with contrast to check her brain and inner ear
she can also try physical therapy to help strengthen her legs and balance muscles and reflexes.
she could benefit from dizzy medications like meclizine or antivert or dramamine which could help
there is also the epley maneuver which can help with dizziness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLm76jQg3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvUbxEoadQ
you should talk to her neurologist about the epley maneuver to see if it might help her dizziness episodes.
let me know if you have questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician