Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a burning sensation under my skin along my rib cage.

Customer Question

I have a burning sensation under my skin along my rib cage. Comes and goes for the last week
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Is this only on right side or left side?? I think so far from your history that you should see your doctor ASAP. One possible concern is that you may be feeling a prodrome of an outbreak of shingles. If that is the case then EARLY TREATMENT WITH AN ANTIVIRAL would be key for you.Early treatment such as with Valtrex or Famvir would shorten an outbreak of shingles and reduces risk of post-herpetic neuralgia(a possible complication of shingles that may hurt for months or longer like you had a burn injury) That is what you want to be careful to avoid...
Other cause of nerve irritation could be the case for you. A nerve compression at the spine would be possible cause.
The treatment would of course be different.
Sensitive skin to the touch May be a clue here as well....
I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you! IF my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
ANTHONY BRAY MD