How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8770
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We moved some moldy mulch yesterday that had a lot of airborne

Customer Question

We moved some moldy mulch yesterday that had a lot of airborne dust, now my son who did most of the work is sick with a really bad headache and muscle aches (he is never sick). Is this something we should be concerned about and seek medical treatment. He is 25 years old and very healthy, Never calls in sick to work and he had to today. IF medical call is needed what kind of test or treatment would they follow?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
With the symptoms that he is having he could have caught a viral infection.
Another possibility is a toxic mold reaction which is due to allergy that some people have to molds.
In general any person who has a new headache should always be seen by a doctor to be sure we do not miss anything.
If sleep, rest and OTC headache medicines has not improved his headache he must be seen to be evaluated properly.
Having said that, it does not seem likely to be anything serious.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He also is reporting to have tightness in his chest. What kind of test would be performed to determine need for further treatment?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Tightness in the chest is something that requires a visit to the ER.
All this seems to be related to allergy to the mold that is causing the symptoms even the tightness of the chest.
He would require a complete blood count and a chest x ray at the very least.
He may also require a steroid shot and a short course of steroids for his allergic symptoms.
Kind regards