Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm not sure what type of physician to ask for because, at

Customer Question
I'm not sure what type...
I'm not sure what type of physician to ask for because, at this point, I feel like I might need to go to the Mayo Clinic, where I would have a team of doctors working on my case. 06/13: after a year of several doctors visits, an 11x9x6 (cm) mass was found
in my mediastinal area. At the time of confirmation from my physician that it was a mass and I needed to see a thoracic surgeon, he admitted to me that the mass was visible in the x-Ray I had done 1-2 months prior, they just "missed" it because it was "at
the bottom of he x-Ray. So I see the thoracic surgeon who says surgical removal would be an 11 hour operation and would be very risky, as it was growing into a major artery below it, and that I may or may not have to give up 1/2 or a majority of my left lung,
etc etc etc. He referred me to an oncologist who ordered a biopsy/PET scan. Their diagnosis was Stage 4 Hodkins lymphoma, because it was so large and had spread to my neck and my groin. 07/13-11/13: Aggressive chemotherapy followed by radiation. 11/14: Diagnosed
with 2 bulging discs and spinal stinosis 10/14-Present: I have now (after 8 months of doctor visits) been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and neuropathy. As I understand, fibro has peaks and valleys...and as I have been told by at least 2 physicians, most patients
have their flare ups a couple days every 2-4 weeks. My "flare-up" hasn't let up since February 2015. It is extremely difficult to get up and down stairs, if not absolutely impossible (mornings are the worst). I try to flip from side to side while I slee to
keep my circulation going in my hands in order to avoid ANY other nighttime episodes.....it takes every ounce of muscle, energy, will power and pain tolerance every single time I wake up and turn to the other side. Some mornings are worst than others, some
I can't get up at all...it's so depressing, and I feel clinically depressed because of it (in addition to ALREADY having cancer, 3 kids ranging from 4 yrs old-17, stress with my work attendance, etc etc etc). As I said earlier, morning are the worst and might
ease up as the day/evening/night proceed, BUT if I sit too long...I start ALL OVER AGAIN, as if I just got out of bed. Just last night I started seeing tracers/flashlight type lights ever time I would move my eyeballs. To me, they weren't really like a tracer
where you are LOOKING at a light and then it follows your eye movement. These were just random lights, it was as if someone was behind me and moving a flashlight so that they could see it reflecting off houses across the street, some cars, dark grass, etc.
at one point it was if I was seeing 2 flashlights. The best way I can really describe them: like the spotlights going back and forth in the sky to bring attention to a big sale or event. It didn't go away when I removed my glasses (because I thought there
was a light somewhere hitting my lenses just right to create this weird illusion), and THEN I noticed it was most prominent when I would move my eyeballs. First time I had labs drawn w my new rheumatologist they came back abnormal (severely low in Vitamin
D, calcium too high, thyroid was low), at that time he referred me to a primary care physician where I was suppose to get the labs ordered again. I requested a copy of my labs, to which they informed me that "they don't normally do that, but they would this
ONE time". I never received my labs...I received a written explanation of my labs stating my thyroid remained a little low, the other thyroid tests were normal, and there was no comments about my calcium or d levels. However, when they CALLED me to tell me
my labs they said "everything was normal". I just don't think I am getting great care, I'm worried about cancer, I don't feel like I am even getting accurate information at times. Even my rheumatologist told me that, the phone call notifying me that my labs
were normal, did not seem right at all. I just don't know what to do, but I don't want to have to wait another year (more appointments, time, energy, work issues, BASIC FUNCTIONS, more doctor bills) to find out what my fear has been all along. But I need the
RIGHT diagnosis so that I can get on the right medications and so that I can get back to the VERY active person I am. It is KILLING me to not be able to work on all my outdoor/indoor home projects. I always like to stay busy with projects because it gets my
mind off of any stresses I have...I don't even have that outlet anymore and it makes me crazy and SEVERELY depressed. I don't even feel (even 5%) like I am the same person I was only 3 years ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
6/15/2015
Doctor: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
The mayo clinic is an excellent idea. Please allow me to explain:
It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?
Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.
At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
As you have already mentioned the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD