Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a friend who recently (about 5 months ago) had a

Customer Question

I have a friend who recently (about 5 months ago) had a pacemaker implant procedure. (She was experiencing severe tiredness and no energy. She visited a doctor and he indicated she had a heart condition which would be corrected with an implant. I wanted to talk to the doctor but she refuses to allow me to talk to him.) After the implant procedure, she developed severe anixiety and is now on Zoloft. Her doctor has told her this emontional reaction is a (rare) side affect to the implant. It is affecting our relationship as she is shutting me out of her life. We had been planning to be married but she refuses to allow me 'into' her life. She as told me to "give her time" and she's taking her adjustment to what is going on her mind "one day at a time". Is what she's experiencing a normal but rare side effect tof the implant?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
it is super super rare for a pace maker implant to cause so much anxiety.
it is more common for a patient to have severe anxiety disorder which can cause rapid heart rate and need zoloft and other anti-anxiety medications to help decrease anxiety.
usually beta blockers are used to help slow down the heart from severe anxiety
she could have had severe depression or anxiety or severe fast heart rate before her pacemaker placement.
if she needs more time, she needs more time.
you might need to give her more time for now.
sometimes with more time, zoloft medication can help treat depression and severe anxiety and help her be better
let me know if you have questions.