Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had a sinus infection and cough for two weeks. I just

Customer Question

I have had a sinus infection and cough for two weeks. I just started 2nd round of antibiotics and vomited. Does a z pack do this to you? And how long does it take to get in your system or did I throw it up???
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
The antibiotic azithromycin (Zpak) can cause nausea but most often is tolerated well. Did you throw up after a dose today?? Have you taken other days of the Zpak already??
If you have taken anything more than 1 and 1/2 hour ago then that would be effective for you.
If you had taken entire Zpak and finished this morning but vomited this afternoon then that would not impact the effectiveness of the antibiotic ...
If you became nauseated after first dose then I would advise you to call your doctor tomorrow as something else may be better tolerated by you to treat the infection...
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took a round of it 2 weeks ago. I then started to feel better. However, sinuses became very plugged again, and low grade fever. So I just took the initial two pills of the second round today. Within 2 hours I had diarrhea and then vomited.
Hello --
2 hours then you would have the antibiotic within you....the antibiotic could give you these side effects possible..
A repeat so soon if same antibiotic would increase chance of antibiotic resistance though as well.
I think call your doctor tomorrow ...I suspect another antibiotic choice may be better...
You may benefit to take a probiotic for the diarrhea ...Pepto Bismol may be of help..
If ongoing nausea than over counter Dramamine or Emetrol may help that.. If persisting then your doctor might prescribe you Zofran or phenergan ( I more suspect the nausea will settle down soon within several hours and diarrhea I would suspect settling down within 2 to 3 days...
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD