How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46307
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a swollen area on my back near my spine which has

Customer Question

I have a swollen area on my back near my spine which has been leaking a clear fluid w a metallic odor. Apparently this has been happening for a while, I noticed a stain on a garment that I have not worn in a year in the exact spot; but I recently noticed it because it was very swollen and painful. I express the fluid every couple of days and it fills up again and has become harder than it was when I first noticed it. I'm worried. I had breast cancer only inches from this area and they took 12 lymph nodes which were clear, but I also have other long term systemic issues from fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome and Lyme disease. I'm aware of a disease which is often mistaken for chronic fatigue and it causes leakage of spinal fluid from the surrounding barriers sub-dermally. I cannot remember the name of this disease right now but it also caused chronic headaches from which I also suffer. I don't think there are any or many lab tests for these maladies - I was a clinical lab tech, and nothing comes to mind. So...I'm sure I should see a dermatologist, but that is difficult due to my other health issues. When I worked in a clinical setting I was a very good diagnostician since I had the lab results before the doc and often checked the patient in and took chief complaint and vitals. This one stumps me. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
you could have a Spinal Pseudomeningoceles or a CSF leak from your spine
I would see your GP doctor and get an ultrasound and MRI scan of your spine in that area to get more information about the fluid collection and leak
a dermatologist might not be of any help
you might need to see a neurologist or even a spine surgeon depending on what the ultrasound and spine MRI scan show.