Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My daughter has been told by Walgreens that they need doctor

Customer Question

My daughter has been told by Walgreens that they need doctor authorization to give her a 5-month supply of Lexapro. It is not a controlled substance. She is on her way to Europe. This is the reason she needs a 5-month supply. Is this regulation specific to Kentucky, where we live? She will be in New York for a day and we're wondering if she can get it there without doctor approval.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
her doctor has to write her prescription for her to get all 5 months at one time.
if her doctor has written her lexapro prescription for only a one month or 3 month supply, the pharmacy will only fill what her doctor has written on a prescription.
what does her lexapro prescription say? who wrote her lexapro prescription before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The same doctor. She has received just a month at a time before, but has 5 months remaining before she has to get a new prescription.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you and your daughter have to call up the doctor who prescribes her lexapro and let them know she needs a prescription for a 5 months supply since she is going to europe
her doctor will understand.
going to NY will not help
her doctor has to write a prescription which gives her 150 pills for 5 months
let me know if you have questions.